Counsel, Employment Law
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
This position is a rare opportunity to become a member of the Viacom Law Department, one of the “Best Legal Departments” as recognized by Corporate Counsel Magazine in 2016. In this Counsel position, you're primarily responsible for managing transactional work generated by the Employment Law Group, including drafting and negotiation of independent contractor agreements and commercial vendor agreements generated by Human Resource function (e.g., third-party service providers retained by HR such as executive coaches, organizational development vendors, and various other outside benefit/service providers, etc.).
These responsibilities will include managing heavy contract flow, liaising with HR on vendor management isues, updating forms, and overall contract management duties and related recordkeeping. Also responsible for drafting employment agreements, separation agreements, and other related agreements for staff employee population. Secondary responsibilities will include advising on employee issues attached to mergers & acquisitions, employee privacy issues both domestically and internationally, and employee benefits issues.
• J.D. and current bar membership required; NY preferred.
• Minimum of 3 years of relevant law firm and/or in-house experience.
• Excellent transactional drafting skills and high level of comfort managing through wide range of issues implicated in commercial contracts.
• Familiarity with U.S. and international employment law (including in the context of employee privacy and M&A).
• Project management experience and experience with commercial transactions.
• Ability to clearly and succinctly communicate legal advice and solicit input and gather information verbally and in writing.
• Ability to calibrate and advise on risk in all manner of transactional environments.
• Good judgment and excellent analytical and follow-through skills.
• Cooperative, team-oriented approach.
• Ability to work autonomously and prioritize multiple matters simultaneously in a demanding, fast-paced environment, while seeking supervision and guidance when necessary.
• Ability to effectively work with business and legal teams across multiple functions to communicate legal advice and solicit input and gather information in a manner that is meaningful and helpful to business groups and legal teams.
• Organizational skills to effectively work with stakeholders in different geographic locations (including internationally) and across legal and business functions on long-term and short-term projects.