Director, Design VH1
VH1New York, NY
Full Time Job
This position combines supervisory and leadership responsibilities with project and creative responsibilities within the graphics department. It is one of two key leadership roles in the department along with the VP Design. The position requires the ability to manage projects and initiatives within the department while maintaining strong communication links to the VP Design with the ultimate goal being a consistent identity in the channel’s on air look.
• Support the VP Design by supervising selected creative projects of VH1 graphics, including show packaging and promo graphics.
• Creatively direct all facets of the project including shoots, animation, scoring and all related production.
• Make sure assigned projects fit the philosophy of the VH1 brand.
• Direct all aspects of Creative projects from initial client meeting through final production and delivery including concept, design, art direction, production
• Accurately and effectively channel information and feedback between all team members
• Monitor and give honest assessment of work with constructive criticism and positive reinforcement, Effectively delegate and manage people and resources connected to each project
• Identify problems with projects or within project/team and offer solutions
• Work with Project Manager assigned to the project to make sure deadlines are met and that production resources are used appropriately.
• Stay in contact with programming, promotion or marketing client to make sure project objectives are met.
• Support the VP Design in all aspects of managing the department.
• Provide criticism and guidance to Designers and Senior Designers in the conception and design of on air graphics.
• Play a key role in the day to day management of the work flow in the on air graphics department along with the VP Design and Project Manager
• Assist VP design in initiating new systems and protocols to help the work flow and process on the team.
• Assist the VP Design in training new designers and mentoring junior creative staff.
• Assist VP Design in recruitment and assessment of creative talent.
• Provide leadership and serve as an example of VH1 Creative philosophies by providing inspiration, motivation, guidance and training to VH1 graphics staff.
• Promote a vibrant creative culture within the Graphics group that helps inspire the team and all other groups in the creative department
• Maintain strong lines of communication with VP Design.
• Design motion graphics for VH1 program and promotion product in accordance with the creative brief and channel brand.
• 9 years of experience
• Design Studio/ In house and media experience
• Experience handling a team