Manager Application Development & Support
Universal Music GroupWoodland Hills, CA
Full Time Job
• Taking over responsibility for a team supporting development and operations of globally rolled out applications with a focus on digital distribution of music and video.
• Active collaboration with other team leads (& members) in the organization to guarantee global coverage and best experience for our customers.
• Resource planning and issue management, embedded in an agile organization using Scrum & Kanban to manage the teams’ workload.
• Main point of contact (within the time zone) to support the Digital Operations group with deep system understanding and creative approaches to solve problems and ad hoc requests.
• Definition of system monitoring & management approach - specification of thresholds, alerts and escalation procedures.
• Interpretation of the role as “playing captain”:
• Jointly working with other team members on bug fixes, testing and deployment to staging and production environments.
• Scale in / out of servers, adjust autoscaling configurations, working with AWS support in case of issues.
• “We build it, we run it” – Operational responsibility for the global music distribution suite in UMG.
• Passionate about solving problems with software and highly motivated to write code.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills, not afraid of being “exposed” and handle complex and difficult situations with the support of a strong team.
• Solid understanding of IT infrastructure technologies (networking, storage, DNS, load balancing)
• Ability to work under aggressive deadlines and meet project commitments
• Experience with object oriented programming languages (ideally Java) and relational database technologies (Oracle, Postgres, SQL-Server). Experience with PL/SQL is a plus
• Experience with complex XML and JSON documents and its validation techniques
• Experience with Linux operating system and its tools (shell scripts, ssh, sftp, strace, lsof…)
• Experience with object oriented programming languages (ideally Java or .NET)
• Experience with cloud services, ideally Amazon Web Services. (Deep understanding of IT infrastructure technologies, Linux and Windows required)
• Experience of working in a media centric company is a plus
• Experience in leading a team (on-shore or off-shore) is a plus
• Degree in computer science (or related field) and/or at least 5 years’ experience working in a professional software development environment, combined with operational responsibility.
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.