Consumer Insight Manager
Universal Music GroupSanta Monica, CA
Full Time Job
UMG’s Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilizing sales, commercial data and a range of analytics tools, the team manages extensive consumer survey data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behavior of today’s music consumers.
The Consumer Insight area oversees strategic insights and research supporting Universal Music Group’s digital strategy, commercial and marketing teams (among others).
Global Insight is a 15 staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in LA and will require close integration with the Consumer Insight team in London, supporting the US and global consumer insight projects. The candidate will report directly to the Director of Consumer Insight.
The role requires someone with extensive quantitative and some qualitative research and analysis experience who have worked in an insight role closely linked to corporate strategy or business development. Hands on expertise in a range of research techniques and in innovative ways of conducting research is required, along with the ability to deliver findings in an engaging way while driving actionable business recommendations. The role requires the ability to utilize and analyze multiple data sources to answer a specific business question, as well as the ability to tell stories with data. Candidates must be comfortable with presentations to large groups and senior management.
• Identify the right methodology for each brief
• Plan and manage project execution
• Questionnaire design and data analysis
• Manage external agency relationships, in terms of timelines and project progress to guarantee the delivery of results to agreed timelines
• Develop relationships around the business across departments; manage clients
• Work closely with the Analytics team to utilise the extensive commercial data available as well as data science initiatives. Merge a range of data sets to answer specific business questions.
• Leverage the range of internal tools and data sources available to complement projects (social tools, sales data, analytics, etc.)
• Awareness of the music consumption space and shift in consumption habits.
• Ability to manage stakeholders, client-agency mind-set.
• Confident, pro-active, creative and enthusiastic team player.
• Comfortable with words and numbers; great communication skills.
• Research agency side experience.
• Passion for music.
• Experience in projects such as: tracking entertainment/digital consumption behaviours over time, segmentation, researching industry trends, identifying market opportunities and growth strategies, influence marketing strategy.
• Data savvy, commercially minded individual.
• Focus on story-led insight. Someone who can lift data into an engaging narrative and provide strategic input.
• Experience in the entertainment space.
• Statistical modelling, forecasting experience is a plus.
• Bachelor’s Degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.