Consumer Insight Director
Universal Music GroupLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Consumer Insight Director (Music Industry Experience-macro level analysis )
UMG’s Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilizing sales and commercial data, the team manages extensive consumer survey data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behavior of today’s music consumers.
The Consumer Insight area oversees strategic insights and research supporting Universal Music Group’s digital strategy, commercial, consumer engagement and marketing teams (among others).
Global Insight is a 15 staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in LA and will require close integration with the Consumer Insight team in London, supporting the US and global consumer insight projects. The candidate will report directly to the SVP.
We are currently seeking an end-to-end insight expert who will originate strategic projects, lead on execution, implement and deliver actionable recommendations to the business. The role requires someone with extensive quantitative and qualitative research experience and contacts in the field. Candidates must have worked in an insight role closely linked to business or commercial strategy. Expertise in a range of research techniques and in innovative ways of conducting research is required, along with the ability to deliver findings in an engaging way while driving actionable business recommendations. The role requires the ability to utilize and analyze multiple data sources to answer a specific business question, as well as the ability to tell stories with data. Candidates must be comfortable with presentations to large groups and senior management. This position will be supported by an Insight Manager, who will operationalize all qualitative research in the West Coast and support all US driven quantitative projects.
• Originate and drive in-depth strategic projects
• Develop relationships around the business across departments; manage clients
• Work closely with the Consumer Insight Director in London, staffing projects and managing workflow in a cohesive manner
• Work closely with the Analytics team in LA to utilise the extensive commercial data available as well as data science initiatives. Merge a range of data sets to answer specific business questions.
• Promote insight across the business by showcasing use cases and delivering best practice.
• Leverage the range of internal tools and data sources available to complement projects (social tools, sales data, analytics, etc.)
• Manage external agency relationships, in terms of timelines and project progress to guarantee the delivery of results to the agreed timelines.
• Candidates with a focus on story-led insight rather than data analysis/reporting. Someone who can lift data into an engaging narrative. Beautiful and engaging presentation is key in a creative business like ours.
• Ability to manage stakeholders, client-agency mind-set. Ability to win internal clients, inspire change. Someone used to providing strategic input.
• Confident, pro-active, creative and enthusiastic team player.
• Management skills.
• Comfortable with words and numbers; great communication skills.
• Passion for music.
• Team worker, can-do approach
• Data savvy, commercially minded individual
• Strategic thinker, innovator
• Previous experience: strategic function; creative environment
• Research agency side experience or consultancy.
• Experience in entertainment space.
• At least 5 years in an insight role.
• Bachelor’s Degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.