Qualitative Researcher - Music
Universal Music GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
UMG’s Global Insight team manages the most powerful and effective data sets and research capabilities in the music industry. As well as utilizing sales and commercial data, the team manages extensive consumer survey data from around the world, delivering unique detail into evolving attitudes and behavior of today’s music consumers.
The Artist Insight area oversees strategic insights and research for Universal Music Group’s esteemed record labels and business units. Our department supports marketing, brand, and A&R teams for a range of artists; from emerging acts to global superstars. You will get the chance to work with the world’s top label groups including Republic Records, Island Records, Def Jam Recordings, Verve Label Group, and many others.
Global Insight is a 15 staff team, with presence in London, NY and LA. This role is based in NY and will primarily support UMG’s US East Coast labels in the US, reporting directly to the Artist Insight Director.
We are currently seeking an Qualitative Researcher for our NY office with extensive qualitative research experience and contacts in the field. Candidates must have expertise in a range of moderating and interview techniques, experience with innovative ways of conducting qualitative research, and the ability to deliver findings in an engaging way while driving actionable business recommendations. Candidates must also have experience in quantitative research, including questionnaire building, sampling techniques and data analysis. The role requires the ability to utilize and analyze multiple data sources to answer a specific business question.
• Lead and manage Artist Insight qualitative projects from start to finish including: study design and strategy, recruitment, discussion guide development, fielding interviews/moderating groups, analysis and reporting. Projects will include, for example, artists’ audience profiling to identifying consumer trends within genres, concept testing, or campaign evaluation.
• Promote the benefits of qualitative research across the business by showcasing use cases and delivering best practice.
• Lead and manage quantitative research projects, sometimes complementing qualitative work.
• Leverage the range of internal tools and data sources available to complement projects (social tools, sales data, analytics, etc.)
• Manage external agency relationships, in terms of timelines and project progress to guarantee the delivery of results to the agreed timelines.
• Comprehensive understanding of research principles; both qualitative and quantitative
• Ability to bring data to life in an intelligent and compelling way
• Strong attention to detail, organization skills, ability to multi task and prioritize
• Flexible in approach, the ability to adapt to any situation as required
• Right & left side balance i.e. comfortable with words and numbers
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under pressure and meet tight deadlines
• Excellent presentation skills, both deck design and client meetings
• Ability to work and fit in a creative environment
• Team player, can-do approach, proactive attitude, creative
• Passion for music
• At least 5 years of experience in an insight/research role, with an emphasis on qualitative research
• Proven experience moderating focus groups and conducting field interviews and workshops
• Experience of working at an agency or client side insight/marketing insight role and working across multiple clients/brands
• Experience in entertainment or media; understanding of the macro trends in the music business
• Experience with SPSS or statistical programs a plus
• Bachelor’s Degree
Universal Music Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This job description only provides an overview of job responsibilities that are subject to change.