Post Production Engineer
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Post Production Engineer
The Sony Pictures Technology Development Post-Production Engineer will work in our R&D lab with a variety of tools, supporting various production and post-production teams at the studio. They will research, design and develop technologies and workflows geared toward advancing the post-production processes for features and television productions. The engineer researches and evaluates new hardware, image acquisition systems and post-production tools in order to help make recommendations to our various studio constituents. They will work with members of the Technology Development staff to help with R&D projects, to provide demos of equipment and other technologies.
• Design, integrate and maintain various post production systems for color correction, restoration, projection, display and audio systems.
• Develop, design and maintain data infrastructure (SAN, ethernet network, etc)
• Directly interact and communicate with clients, especially when technical questions or issues arise.
• Work with manufacturers and vendors to develop solutions for our particular requirements.
• Perform image and audio testing and analysis
• Develop processes and procedures for automated image/audio handling.
• Collaborate with Sony Pictures Technology Development group, Sony Electronics and others on emerging technologies.
• Will require working knowledge of image and video processing applications: Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, Avid, Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Clipster, etc.
• Stays abreast of Production, VFX, Post Production practices on current productions, across studios
• Must have both broad and specific knowledge of the many tools used in production and post.
• Other duties as required coordinate and assist with other members of the Technology Development staff as needed.
1. Work with the engineering staff to architect, developing and implement workflows for post production.
2. Work directly with Sony Pictures post-production vendors to implement workflows and tools
3. Work directly with clients to implement workflows and educate regarding new methods of post-production for HDR, VR, 3D, etc.
4. Provide support to the Mastering group in working with outside post facilities
5. Work with engineers at Sony/SEL/DMPC and SPE on developing new display and processing technologies.
6. Provide support to other Sony Pictures entities as required
7. Working with 3rd parties to stay abreast of current and future tools
8. Act as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) at SPE as well as participating in Standards organizations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Audio signal processing systems (delays, amps, speakers, etc.)
• Video display systems (monitors, projectors, etc)
• Terminating various types of cables
• Linux, Mac and Windows computer systems
• Shared storage systems in a high performance computing environment
• Audio and video routing systems
• Troubleshooting complex wiring systems
• Troubleshooting software systems
• Using test equipment to perform tasks
• Work with people to solve technical problems
• Read and use wiring schematics to perform tasks
• Work alone and in teams
• Communicate effectively
• Specify requirements on equipment, cabling and supplies
• Maintain attention to detail
• Lift 100lbs
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios