Manager, Production Safety
Sony PicturesCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
Manager, Production Safety
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; a global channel network; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in 159 countries.
SPE is currently accepting applications for a regular, full-time Manager, Production Safety. This position is based at SPE corporate offices located in Culver City, CA and resides in the Security, Environmental, Health and Safety(SEHS) Department. The position is responsible to help ensure the overall health & safety of the SPE production workforce and the physical safety of production locations and facilities. Primary responsibilities include the development / implementation / management of programs necessary to ensure a healthy, safe and environmentally sound work place, as well as ensuring compliance with all applicable governmental health & safety and environmental regulations. Duties include working directly with the Executive Director, Production Safety and the SEHS team. The candidate will be a self-starter with excellent communication skills, who has demonstrated success implementing similar corporate programs.
Essential Functions of the Job
• Represent the Production Safety Group and SEHS to SPE motion picture and television productions;
• Work independently without immediate management supervision;
• Evaluate production concepts, scripts, pitch sheets, etc., for health & safety concerns;
• Mitigate those concerns by working with Producers, Unit Production Managers and other production staff;
• Work with productions to ensure health & safety and environmental compliance;
• Foster long-term, cooperative working relationships with key production stakeholders (safety representatives, Unit Production Managers, etc.);
• Attend technical location scouts;
• Develop and implement SPE production policies supporting the Production Safety Manual;
• Coordinate and/or conduct required employee health & safety training;
• Maintain and distribute industrial hygiene monitoring and personal protective equipment (PPE);
• Inspect / evaluate production sets, stages and locations for health & safety concerns;
• Respond to emergencies and incidents involving production employees;
• Investigate production incident and accidents;
• Recommend and monitor necessary corrective actions;
• Notify applicable governmental regulatory agencies and authorities as appropriate
• Represent the Production Safety Group, SEHS and SPE during regulatory inspections;
• Assist in SEHS Safety matters, as necessary.
Education & Experience
• Graduation from an accredited university, preferably with a degree in biology, chemistry, safety management, environmental science, or related field;
• Typically, 3 years operating at manager level, managing safety programs for a large corporation;
• Knowledge of the entertainment industry, including film and/or TV production; and
• Proven experience within the area of Production Safety or knowledge/expertise in the areas of pyrotechnics, stunt planning, structural engineering, hazardous materials identification and abatement, and/or large-scale construction projects.
Additional Qualification Criteria
• A self-starter with demonstrated ability to develop and achieve measurable goals
• Proven ability to focus on issues and organize tasks to solve complex problems
• Ensure a high-level of internal customer satisfaction and effective customer relations
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to speak clearly, persuasively and elicit cooperation.
• Ability to work in an environment where changing priorities are the norm and flexibility is a must; demonstrated skills in managing multiple tasks effectively and efficiently
• Requirement to travel globally
• Strong time management skills
• Languages desirable
*Sony Pictures Entertainment is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other protected characteristics.
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios