Senior Analyst, Risk & Controls
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
If you are someone who is interested in learning about Sony Music's internal controls, consolidated financial reporting, and risk management program, from within a highly visible, consultative and cross-disciplined department, then this opportunity may be a great fit for you!
Our Global Finance Risk & Controls department, based at 25 Madison Ave, has an opening for this type of individual. With a heavier focus on internal controls over financial reporting, this full time position would be involved in a myriad of projects including but not limited to Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) compliance, business process and IT internal controls initiatives, consolidated financial reporting, corporate audit issues & remediation management. There is potential to also be involved in other financial reporting projects including managing other staff (i.e. interns), business continuity and crisis management initiatives and to work in other areas and departments within the Company based on performance. Ideally, the candidate should be enthusiastic, able to multi-task, comfortable interacting with all levels of the business, open to wearing multiple hats, a team player and have an overall interest in the financial operations of a music and entertainment company.
The analyst will play an important role in Sony Music’s SOX compliance initiative by contributing the following:
• Document, assess and test in-scope business and IT processes and key controls to provide executive management with a basis for their assessment that internal controls over financial reporting are operating effectively.
• Interact with a wide variety of personnel to develop recommendations to remediate control deficiencies and play an active role in implementing the remediation plans. SOX Compliance
• For assigned business processes and supporting systems:
• Approximately 50% of the focus in the role will be on SOX Compliance, however the other 50% will be made up of consolidated financial reporting, other control projects, compliance and risk initiatives.
• Strategic Planning: Understand Sarbanes Oxley Requirements and proactively gain an understanding of contributing factors to Sony Music’s risk assessment.
• Planning: Complete/Assist in certain aspects of test planning, such as updating data/testing requests and other planning documents.
• Process and Control Narratives and Walkthroughs: Update/Document processes and complete walkthroughs to confirm processes and controls to identify control observations and deficiencies.
• Reporting: Assist department management and a broad range of Sony and Sony Music personnel to develop, support and evaluate observations and communicate practical, cost justified recommendations to management that align with the organization in meeting its goals (i.e., value-add).
• Remediation: Test remediation and assist with assessment of the corrective actions taken, and update documents timely, completely, accurately and concisely.
• On-going: Coordinate with Business Process Owners and IT to update and maintain the required documents.
• Assist in reviewing the monthly financial consolidation of all of Sony Music’s reporting business units and work closely with affiliates to maintain timely and accurate information required for WW reporting during and after the close.
• Maintain monthly schedules as part of the monthly, quarterly and annual review process.
• Complete close in accordance with the company accounting policy and internal reporting time table.
• Participate and assist in creation of internal and external financial reports and other ad hoc reports as required.
• Assist in the modification of the consolidation reporting system in coordination with the technical implementation by the systems group.
• Participate in other accounting and finance projects as needed.
Additional Projects and Initiatives
• Demonstrate an aptitude for understanding and identifying broader risks, including Financial, Operational, Compliance, Strategic and Marketplace risks.
• Be prepared to participate in a variety of operational, integrated financial and special reviews of worldwide company operations with an emphasis on internal controls, operating efficiencies and compliance with government and industry regulations, as well as corporate policies.
• Use current technology and tools to enhance the effectiveness of deliverables and services.
• Proactively inform Manager and control owners on all issues and project progress.
• At the discretion of management, complete various other job-related functions as needed.
Candidates should possess a broad range of knowledge in accounting/finance, information technology, business administration and project management areas. This should include:
• Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Computer Science, Information Systems, or other appropriate academic major
• At least 1 year corporate experience even if only via internships
• Ability to understand new tasks quickly and ask clarifying questions and exchange information in a timely manner.
• Ability to manage multiple projects in various stages of completion, and reprioritize when faced with conflicting priorities
• Must be able to meet specific deadlines and broader service levels
• Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of internal parties
• Strong analytical and writing skills
• MS Office – Average Knowledge
• Good understanding of internal controls and exposure to Sarbanes Oxley or other corporate governance requirements
• 1 – 2 years Public Accounting and IT experience
• Music industry experience or other related exposure
• Strong MS Excel focus and ability to create pivot tables for analysis purposes
• SAP and/or BPC system exposure