Director, Business & Legal Affairs
Sony MusicNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Director, Business and Legal Affairs Overview:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
The Director, Business and Legal Affairs is responsible for the review, negotiation and drafting of contracts for artists and all artist related matters, new labels, joint ventures, production deals, consulting deals, and new media agreements for Epic Records.
• Review, draft and negotiate various agreements (initial, intermediate and final versions) including, but not limited to, recording agreements, producer agreements, label deals, joint ventures, license agreements, distribution agreements, merchandise agreements, product placement deals, brand partnership agreements, soundtrack agreements, and settlement agreements.
• Provide counsel to internal departments and senior management on day-to-day business regarding legal issues and strategy.
• Review marketing, publicity and promotion initiatives and advise departments on any legal issues.
• Review videos, artwork, label copy, advertising, and other promotional materials to minimize company’s legal exposure.
• Analyze and assess potential risks and propose recommended courses of action in light of legal considerations and business objectives.
• Police piracy and copyright infringement by investigating incidents of piracy, drafting “cease & desist” letters, negotiating resolution of such incidents, evaluating whether further legal action is warranted, and coordinating enforcement efforts with the RIAA.
• Respond to requests for information and/or advice from other business units, including contract research and analysis.
• Experience drafting recording, producer and soundtrack agreements.
• Minimum of 5 to 7 years of legal experience in an entertainment company or related law practice. Law firm experience and/or label experience preferred.
• Excellent negotiating, drafting, and communication skills.
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment while still paying attention to detail and spotting potential issues is absolutely key.
• Must be solution oriented and enjoy problem solving.
• Ability to remember and recall details of multiple projects on request.