Senior Editor, Fitness, Men's Health
RodaleNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Men’s Health is the world’s largest magazine, with 42 international editions including a United States edition which serves more than 14 million readers in print and 25 million digitally each month. The social and video platforms add tens of millions of followers, fans, and viewers to the fold—all of whom come to our brand for advice on health, fitness, and lifestyle.
This particular cross-platform role offers the unique opportunity to shape our fitness coverage on these and other platforms domestically but also to help determine future paid products for our brand, ranging from follow-along routines and programs to ala carte workouts. This requires a steward with deep knowledge of common fitness platforms and their tenets, significant certifications and education in fitness and biomechanics as well as skeleto-muscular physiology, and a knowledge of the space and its tribes and personalities as a whole.
Day-to-day requirements will include:
• Approving and assigning fitness stories for Men’s Health Magazine and Men’s Health.com
• Approving and on boarding fitness talent for social and video platforms secured by our brand’s talent director
• Overseeing junior fitness talent including our fitness editor and associate fitness and nutrition editor
• Confidently assessing the merit of new fitness programs and advice for worthiness to the Men’s Health reader and viewer
• Culling scientific journals and cultivating relationships with research institutions to
• Helping to set an adventurous but well-reasoned North Star for our fitness coverage that always puts the reader first, rather than dogma or trendiness.
• Fostering an engaged, uplifting, and educational community of contributors that lifts each other, both among our staff and among our larger network.
• Lead weekly fitness brainstorms and lineups reviews; guide and participate in daily slack conversations with other like-minded
• Ensure platform leads (web, mag, video, social) have everything needed to present a robust and vibrant slate of content to an engaged audience
• Responsible for growing our library of on-demand and streaming fitness instructional videos and screening new contributors for participation in the product funnel
Additional qualifications not required but may bolster an applicant’s case:
• An appetite for analytics and a knowledge of platform-specific content approaches
• A working knowledge of marketing funnels and flow
• Demonstrating a working knowledge of nutrition and weight loss concepts
• Familiarity with military and tactical approaches to training
• Hands-on experience with alternative training regimens and a curiosity for trying new approaches
• Representing the brand at external events including television shows, conferences, and other public events
• Acting as talent for video and social platforms or, when behind the camera, coaching talent in that regard