Event Director - Pax
Full Time Job
WHAT'S COOL ABOUT THIS JOB:
PAX is a festival for gamers of all genres to come together and celebrate the culture of gaming. Unreleased games, big booths, compelling panels, game music concerts, the gaming community and industry support puts PAX far above any other show on the planet. What makes PAX special is its total focus on community, culture and the gamers themselves. The PAX Event Director will work closely with Penny Arcade to develop and direct the vision for what the PAX experience is. What could be cooler than that? The preferred candidate will have experience with brand & product management within the games industry and a proven track record of customer focused leadership in live environments, whether that be online or physical spaces. They will have successfully built new business segments or created new initiatives while growing existing businesses and/or portfolios. You should have experience with building strategic alliances and business communities in the industry. Since you're balancing the needs of both the fans and the exhibitor community, an ability to build strong relationships is critical. The PAX Event director will need to be skilled in reviewing, recommending and integrating new innovations – although an ability to write code isn't a requirement, an understanding of how different technologies and solutions fit into the larger puzzle of PAX is a constant undertaking. You should enjoy leading diverse teams of both direct and indirect reports, demonstrating a strong authentic leadership style with an active focus on customer engagement. A high level of emotional intelligence and organizational awareness is critical to success in this role. You must be able to collaborate and leverage the expertise of colleagues across the company to deliver innovative and strategic initiatives. As an Event Director you will also need to understand how to communicate externally to the industry and/or press, as the role is somewhat public in nature. You must see the value of data and use customer insights to develop new service/product solutions or build brand extensions based on customer needs. The PAX Event Director must be fluid in their approach, comfortable with technology and able to shift on the fly as the PAX events are delivered through multiple channels.
BRING YOUR PASSION AND EXPERTISE:
• Plan, execute, grow and deliver the best possible experiences for the gaming community while balancing the financial needs of the business
• Manage the full P&L for the PAX event portfolio including tracking, forecasting internal reporting to senior leadership
• Develop a vision and plan for the PAX brand and make sure that vision carries through the onsite experience
• Act as a collaborative entrepreneur to see new possibilities by taking in information and leveraging insights to develop and maintain an understanding of our customers' needs and objectives through strong business relationships
• Direct sales and marketing strategies and execution to properly define and deliver world class experiences for the PAX fans while also delivering a combination of higher revenue and profits
• Manage the sourcing and delivery of high quality gaming related content for publication and broadcast
• Deliver superior customer solutions by identifying customer needs and problems that need to be solved and leveraging those solutions to transform business needs
• Create a ''one team'' approach through collaboration with domestic and international marketing, sales, operations and talent/content teams
• Ensure that all PAX events fit within the guidelines of what it means to be a PAX event and that the PAX brand is correctly positioned internally and externally for future growth
• Ensure all messaging and imagery represent PAX positively and authentically to both internal and external audiences on a global level
• Participate actively in the industry, developing and maintaining relationships, working with advisory boards, cultivating a network of industry experts and leaders, and adding to ReedPOP's knowledge of industry trends, climate, players and issues.
• College degree or equivalent business training or experience preferred
• Five or more years of experience in the gaming industry (preferred) and/or related field
• Highly developed gaming industry insights and relationships
• Must be highly collaborative with a ''We'' not ''Me'' mentality.
• Highly organized, detail oriented & proactive with a strong ownership sensibility and a passion for our brands.
• Must be comfortable with ambiguity and always willing to take the initiative to create something new
• You must be resourceful and willing to find creative solutions that will help you achieve your goals
• We are looking for an individual who is a creative thinker and a problem solver – someone who can bring innovative ideas to grow the brand and the business and be capable of executing upon them.
• We want a social and empathetic leader that will truly care about our audiences and live for making them happy as often as possible
• You should be team-oriented and collaborative with the ability to manage relationships with internal and external partners.
• Strong conceptual planning, creative vision, and innovation skills.
• You should be a happy, optimistic person that enjoys seeing the big picture while striving to create a great future for our brands
• Must be flexible and able to adjust within a fast-paced work environment with unpredictable deadlines and schedules
• Ability to multi-task, shift priorities and focus on finding solutions
• You should be flexible in your viewpoints, always looking for the best ideas and ready to be an advocate for ideas other than your own
• Must be a humble leader that is secure enough in yourself to be able to ask for help, say ''I don't know'' and always learn from your mistakes.
• Professional level knowledge of Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
• A true passion for video games, pop culture and our fans
• Builds rapport with all kinds of people inside and outside the organization.
• Some travel is required. Approximately 6-8 times per year