Senior Engineer, Media Engineering & Partnerships
Full Time Job
About Netflix: Netflix is a global Internet TV network that offers movies and TV series, commercial-free, to users who pay a monthly subscription, and choose how, when and where to watch. We produce award-winning original content and build cutting-edge streaming technology, allowing global stories to travel to users across the world. Over 100 million users stream 125 million hours of content - every day - on Netflix. More than anything else, Netflix's culture is about getting to work with extraordinarily talented people in an impactful environment.
About Netflix in India: India is crucial to the next phase of Netflix's growth. Since launching in the market in January, 2016, our content library has doubled to include the best of Western entertainment, as well as high-quality Indian content comprising dozens of exclusive films. We have also added features that Indian consumers love, such as mobile downloads.
In 2017, Netflix will invest $6 billion in content globally, and will double down on our Indian investment in order to curate a compelling content library made up of original and licensed titles. We are setting up an office in Mumbai, and recently announced strategic partnerships with three major companies in India - Airtel, Videocon d2h and Vodafone - making our content easy to access for consumers across India.
About the position: This position is ideal for someone looking to play a major technical role in Netflix's expansion in India. Netflix desires to build deep and meaningful Digital Supply Chain relationships with our partners and this individual will be a part of making that happen. This individual will play an integral role in making Netflix the most efficient and simplest digital platform on which to deliver the assets of our Content Partners. The Media Engineering and Partnerships Licensed Content team is composed of standout engineers that act as pioneer-consultants to the film and television industry. We focus on guiding the global entertainment industry supply chain beyond broadcast standards and into the new era of internet film and television.
This individual will act as the primary technical resource for Content and Fulfillment Partners delivering content to Netflix throughout India. They will proactively support close alignment between the operations and workflows of our partners and those of Netflix. Additionally, they will be a technical resource for internal teams throughout Netflix.
The key responsibilities include:
• Evaluate facilities for competency around digital file creation, conformance and QC
• Solve day-to-day technical issues related to source files raised by our partners
• Coach partners into a model of efficient and error-free delivery
• Educate various groups both internally and externally on technical specifications for Video, Audio, and Subtitles
• Work with internal teams to provide feedback on new tools and processes
• Maintain currency on Audio, Video, Subtitling and Streaming technology
• Provide metrics-driven analysis of failed assets to determine root causes and suggest and implement solutions
• Organize and program technical seminars and presentations around local industry conferences
• Communicate industry complexities and trends in India with the rest of the Netflix team
• 5 years' experience working at a post-production lab, studio, or similar preparing files for digital platforms
• Experience preparing OTT media (video, subtitles, audio) either in India or for India
• Expertise diagnosing errors with various file formats including: ProRes, IMF, WAV, TTML
• Deep understanding of digital file manufacturing processes, QC workflows, and common industry tools for file preparation
• Track record of developing long-standing relationships with partners and their operational teams
• Extensive understanding of post-production and syndication workflows with an ability to quickly analyze and reconcile our partner's operations against those of Netflix
• Ability to work autonomously and proactively with limited day to day management
• Embrace the Netflix Culture Deck and philosophy
• Fluency in English
• Strong customer orientation and helpful, collaborative demeanor in a client facing role
• You think of yourself as a hybrid between an engineer and a client manager
• An ability to translate technical details into plain English
• Willingness and aptitude to educate both internal and external entities with varying degrees of knowledge in the technical aspects of the Digital Supply Chain
• Ability to communicate and interact with vendors across India and frame projects with sensitivity to cultural diversity and industrial variation