Music Cue Sheet Specialist
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
At Netflix, we are shaping the future of entertainment because we believe there is a better way to watch. Our international efforts have brought Netflix around the globe to virtually all countries and we're excited to bring even more of our Originals programming to our viewers. With over 100 Million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it's an exciting time to work at Netflix.
Netflix seeks an experienced Cue Sheet Specialist to help support our expanding slate of Originals content and music repertoire.
In this unique and exciting role, you will have visibility into all facets of our music business, with responsibility over vital components of our music cue sheet and music administration processes. As a cue sheet expert, you know exactly what it takes to use music in a production and you understand the significance of synchronization licenses, publishing splits and PRO information. You have mastered the art of cue sheet preparation and in your view, there is no cue sheet data that is too small or insignificant. You know the difference between CISAC and SESAC, a PRO and CMO. You know how to review composer and license agreements for pertinent cue sheet information and are effective in aligning music supervisors, music editors and other production personnel to deliver proper cue sheet data and oversee timely and accurate cue sheet creation and delivery. Your thorough understanding of why cue sheets matter results in a keen attention to detail and accuracy that you impart to everyone involved in the music production process. On your watch, it is not acceptable for splits to add up to less or more than 100%, for PRO information to be lacking, or for timing or publisher fields to be incomplete or incorrect. Any discrepancies do not last long as you are the first to spot them and solve them. While you may be an expert at Rapid Cue and other automated cue sheet systems and know who to contact at the PROs to discuss cue sheet matters, your command of this area means you have also identified ways that cue sheet creation and delivery can be improved. In this role you would be able to actively contribute to cue sheet innovation and help shape our cue sheet administration and delivery strategy.
The successful candidate will be one who seeks out these values. He or she thrives in an environment where freedom and responsibility are a tenet, and passion, innovation and curiosity are mandates. He or she places thoughtful efficiency over process yet knows how to work with organizations or institutions who may not hold the same beliefs.
This role is based in Netflix's Los Angeles office and reports to the Coordinator, Music and Cue Sheet Administration of the Music Group, part of the Business & Legal Affairs team at Netflix. The Music Group is based in Los Angeles, London and Berlin and is responsible for all of Netflix's global music business and strategy, from the production and licensing of Netflix Originals through to the distribution of the Netflix service globally.
• Preparing, processing, administering and submitting cue sheets for our compelling Originals programming, including reviewing, editing, correcting and, if needed, preparing cue sheets in a timely and efficient manner.
• Working with database administrators to maintain and improve cue sheet databases.
• Analyzing music data and generating various reports in support of our music business.
• Conducting song data research with various PRO's and CMO's to obtain accurate metadata information when needed.
• Liaising and coordinating with foreign sub-publishers and working directly with music publishers, music editors, music supervisors and performing rights societies to timely submit cue sheets and resolve discrepancies.
• Supporting the administration of Netflix's music repertoire (master recordings and music publishing).
• Participating in other projects specific to Netflix's music needs.
• BA/BS degree and 5 - 7 years of music cue sheet experience, preferably in the music department at a film/television studio, television network or major production company.
• Strong understanding of music clearance, music rights and music publishing.
• Mastery of automated cue sheets systems (Soundmouse, RapidCue, etc) with the ability and desire to work with other cue sheet platforms and formats.
• Unparalleled organizational skills and unwavering attention to detail.
• Clear, concise communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably on multiple projects under tight timeframes in a fast-paced production environment.
• Highly collaborative with the ability to be fluid and respond positively to change and new ideas.
• Ability to pivot quickly and be resourceful, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and eagerness to tackle additional projects and matters outside area of expertise.
• Tech-savvy individual proficient in Gmail and Google Docs with a strong sense of how cloud-based document and database systems are used in a modern business environment.