Manager, Physical Production - Unscripted
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
We are seeking an experienced Manager, Production to help manage both internal and third party co-productions from a originals physical production perspective on a full range of unscripted programming from multi-cam talk shows to docu-reality follow to competition. Responsibilities include establishing and curating vendor & staff/crew relations, reviewing budgets and supporting/suggesting best practices from pre production through delivery. This position will report in to the Director of Physical Production in Hollywood. Together, this team is responsible for supervising all aspects of production with our global original unscripted programming.
Fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to have over 109 million streaming members worldwide. With continued international expansion and a move into original film acquisition and production underway, it's a great time to join Netflix.
A successful candidate will be self-motivated, proactive, quick-thinking, flexible, able to pivot when necessary, thorough and able to juggle multiple and diverse responsibilities with a strong emphasis on organization and an unwavering attention to detail at all times. This is a demanding and fast moving position that requires someone who is a proactive and positive thinker, and able to exercise good judgment and initiative while working with a high volume production slate.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Pre Production/Setup of Show
• Work with Finance, Legal, Business Affairs, Creative, Engineering, Post & external production teams on establishing key schedules and workflows while maximizing budget to spend as much on screen as possible.
• Develop and foster relationships with a multitude of producing partners/third parties.
• Work with Showrunners, EICs and Line Producers to prepare and vet and eventually lock show budgets, production plans and schedules, providing feedback internally and externally on viability.
• Review creative & begin defining budgets from prepro through finishing and delivery.
• Track & manage all related costs and scheduling, keeping stakeholders apprised of status.
• Update network/studio cost reports and trackers on a weekly basis alongside Finance and Accounting.
• Ensure costs and rates are consistent across all related projects and fair within market.
• Create/help inform and help draft production and post schedule
• Collaborate with internal teams (including Content Ops and Post) & external production team to lock schedule.
• Help maintain schedules, troubleshoot and communicate all changes to schedule to internal/external teams
• Approve key department heads and/or recommend high level crew and creative talent for each production.
• Determine key vendors to accommodate creative vision and relationships, tax incentives, budget needs, location issues.
• Help maintain, curate and suggest preferred crew talent and vendor list.
• Act as key liaison working with all internal support departments including Creative, Content Operations, Post Production, Risk/Safety Management, Security, Insurance, Accounting, PR, Marketing, Social and Product.
• Help ensure that all productions run smoothly, meet deadlines, stay within budget and remain safe, efficient and legal.
• BA/BS Degree
• 8 Years experience with long form production executive management both in the field and on a network level for series. Candidates will likely be at the VP level or equivalent outside of Netflix.
• Ability to handle a fast paced environment simultaneously supervising several projects in various phases of production (from evaluation to production through delivery)
• Familiar with the current trends and workflows for both HD and 4K, single cam and mult-cam
• Access to long roster of high quality vendors and crew/creative talent worldwide
• Ability to respond after hours for important, timely or urgent matters
• Team-player who operates in a fast paced team-oriented setting
• Ability to be discrete and maintain confidential information
• Understanding of how to prioritize and respond accordingly while being an effective communicator.
• Willingness to continue learning to ensure understanding of current production process and gear
• Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multi-task
• Proficiency in Movie Magic Budgeting, Google Eco System (including Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Mal and Drive) and familiarity with post production/editorial systems and finishing processes.
• Willingness to take educated risks and think out of the box
Netflix offers an attractive compensation package consisting of base salary, stock options, 401K (with match), comprehensive benefits and relocation.