Manager, Original Documentary Publicity - Series
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Do you have a genuine affinity, love and appreciation for documentaries? Do you regularly binge true crime, food, art and nature series? Are you interested in breathing new life into your publicity campaigns and taking new approaches? Is awards season your favorite time of year? If so, you may just be the perfect candidate to join our originals publicity team, working on our original documentary series initiative.
Fueled by the broad appeal of being able to instantly enjoy unlimited movies and TV shows, Netflix has grown to have over 109 million streaming members in over 190 countries. With continued international expansion and ongoing original documentary acquisition and production, it's a great time to join Netflix.
We currently have a unique opportunity for the right candidate to help handle original docu-series for the online leader. It's a chance to join a thriving team and support powerful projects by managing and executing promotional and publicity campaigns for an integral part of our business.
The Manager of Original Documentary Publicity will work very closely with several different disciplines that are bringing originals docs and docu-series to fruition here at Netflix, balancing consumer-driven and awards-emphasis campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a point-of-view and in the spirit of Netflix and the company's philosophy, can drive a disruptive approach to handling campaigns in support of original docu-series.
The candidate sees this unique challenge as an opportunity to innovate and to re-invent traditional publicity and awards campaigns on behalf of documentary, and is able to drive and execute new ideas that take an unorthodox approach in the space. They will also be able to pivot and adapt to shifting priorities without missing a beat.
The ideal candidate is not someone who wants to follow the standard playbook to promote these projects. He/she is able to communicate priorities and present clear goals to stakeholders.
The candidate will have a strong work ethic and has a proven track record with both consumer and awards campaigns; along with an understanding of the documentary market and festival landscape. They use sound judgment to make wise decisions, and they think strategically.
The ideal candidate will also not be afraid to challenge prevailing assumptions when warranted, and suggest better approaches; they will make tough decisions without agonizing and will be candid and direct, even when that approach might be controversial.
The role will report to the Director of Original Documentary Publicity.
The day to day responsibilities will include but are not limited to: formulating and implementing PR and awards campaign strategies and messaging; developing press materials; strategizing junket opportunities; planning Q As, screenings and tastemaker events; liaising with journalists, talent representatives and talent; and on-boarding and managing agencies.
The role requires US and international travel.
• The ideal candidate is familiar with the Netflix culture deck and is eager to work among like-minded colleagues and embrace the company's philosophies.
• They will have at least five years of experience working in documentary films, docu-series or unscripted content, and will be able to successfully strategize and communicate innovative publicity campaigns and work well across disciplines to execute on said campaigns.
• He/she will have experience with Emmy awards campaigns, anddeep industry and guild relationships in the awards space.
• Experience or knowledge of international markets is a plus.
• The ideal candidate is high energy, scrappy, motivated with proven capacity for relationship-building and working in a fast-paced environment.
• They will be hands-on in PR campaign work required, and they will have experience in collaborating with publicity agencies as well.
• A successful candidate will also have hands-on experience working with producers/directors/showrunners.
• They will also have a good grasp of key doc festivals, and will be nimble enough to identify must-do opportunities but not spend a lot of time on tactics or initiatives that don't move the needle significantly for a global campaign.
• They are able to prioritize and tactfully manage expectations both internally and externally.
• There is both domestic and international travel required for this position.