Director, Product Design
NetflixLos Gatos, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix is the leading provider of streaming video, reaching over 100 million subscribers in more than 190 countries and territories around the world. Our subscribers consume over five billion hours of video a quarter and account for third of the downstream Internet traffic. Supporting this global brand presents significant engineering challenges. At the center of solving those challenges is the Netflix Content Platform, responsible for the creation and refinement of content streamed by our members.
The Content Platform's mission is to connect people creating stories - from the director on set,editor, and the creative executive, to linguists, synopsis writers and our teams building the member experience. Product Design for the Content Platform works at the intersection between storytellers, technology, and the business. As part of this role, you will be leading the design team to build the future of tools that are used to create and deliver our Originals.
Although Netflix is an established company, in many ways we still act like a start up. The organization is flat, process is minimal, individual responsibility is big, and there is an emphasis on keeping non-productive influences out of the everyday decision process. We endeavor to stay nimble and make decisions quickly.
As a design leader at Netflix, you will partner with product and engineering to build a suite of services that bring titles onto the service. You have a strong business acumen that drives you to seek opportunities to drive impact. You have a strong focus on usability and efficiency, and strive to simplify complex problems. With every new release your team leads the charge towards more effective, more impactful services.
You measure success by the amount of value you bring to the business.
You have recruited and managed effective product design organizations with experience building both consumer and enterprise software. You set a high bar for execution, communication, and the responsibility of your team members. You know how to work cross-functionally with multiple teams, as well as make your ideas and data clear to get everyone on the same page.
The Must Haves:
• 4 years managing a Product Design team
• 8 years as a Product Designer
• The ability to form consensus across a broad, fast-moving organization
• A history of mentoring strong design leaders and contributing to the community
• A deep sense of accountability, fostering a high degree of responsibility within your teams
• Understanding of complex workflows designed to scale across diverse, global operations teams
• Experience working in continuous delivery environments where pace is fast and a focus on execution is critical
• Experience building component-based design systems
• Excellent communication skills
• A willingness to fail and learn
• A passion for movies and TV shows