Director, Business & Legal Affairs - Independent TV
NetflixLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Netflix seeks a seasoned TV licensing and production attorney to help support our domestic and international business. With over 100 Million subscribers enjoying great content in over 190 countries, it's an exciting time to work at Netflix.
The successful candidate will work as part of the company's Business & Legal Affairs team to structure, negotiate and draft agreements with independent television producers, distributors and networks to acquire, develop, produce and distribute content to Netflix subscribers. He or she will interface with third-party production companies and be involved in overseeing all facets of multiple third-party productions. He or she may handle related intellectual property matters as they arise (e.g., copyright, trademark, chain of title), will likely need to delve into local law and practice in various international territories, and should be extremely comfortable making decisions that have both legal and business impact.
The legal team at Netflix is focused on collaborating with our business partners to find effective, efficient solutions and deliver great content to our subscribers. The ideal candidate will be intellectually curious and will welcome the opportunity to be part of a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization and will have a strong production and operational background, plus a broad understanding of both television distribution (including digital distribution) and the evolving industry as a whole. The successful candidate will also be excited and inspired by the Netflix culture.
This position will be based in Los Angeles.
The successful candidate will have 10 years of development, production and licensing experience in television programming, with direct experience negotiating and drafting all forms of production, talent, acquisition and licensing agreements. Experience providing in-house support in a major studio, television network and/or entertainment company required.
The successful candidate will also possess the following:
• Clear, concise communication skills.
• Strong analytical capabilities and superior judgment, even when the rules are unclear and the issues are of first impression.
• Ability to work proactively, independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to counsel internal business clients on business and legal impact in various areas including content operations and security, marketing, business development, and product.
• Ability to pivot quickly and fluidly, think practically and be solution-oriented.
• Curiosity and willingness to tackle matters outside area of expertise.
• Excited and inspired by Netflix culture.
• J.D. and membership in good standing in at least one state bar is required.