White House Reporter / Correspondent, Washington Desk
Full Time Job
NPR’s award-winning Washington Desk produces sophisticated yet accessible coverage of the White House, Congress, the Supreme Court and Department of Justice as well as electoral politics. Our focus is on the nexus of policy, politics and culture. We draw connections between the places political leaders come from, the people they represent and the policies they embrace. We consider the role of cultural and demographic change as we aim to illuminate governance and politics. Fact-checking and explanatory journalism are vital to our mission as well as breaking news with clarity and context. Known for our work ethic, the Washington Desk aspires to great storytelling both on air and online. Our coverage is featured on Morning Edition, All Things Considered, NPR.org, the NPR Politics Podcast, and UpFirst.
This reporter will be assigned to cover the White House. The position requires experience covering the White House or substantial national political experience. The reporter should bring sourcing, energy and sophistication to the beat as well as the ability to think expansively about content and the best ways to deliver it. The job requires attention to detail, big-picture thinking, and concern for the craft. We’re looking for a reporter with 5 or more years of experience and we'll place a premium on those with live and lively broadcast experience.
The reporter will be expected to hit daily news deadlines, report longer-form feature and enterprise stories and have the sourcing and drive to break news. The reporter will also be expected to maintain a robust story list and have the ability to report and produce pieces for all NPR programs and platforms with speed and accuracy. Conversational, engaging live broadcast interviews and the ability to share reporting in lively social media conversations are essential skills.
The position is based in Washington, D.C. and involves occasional travel, weekend work and a flexible schedule.
• Pitches, plans and reports news, feature and major enterprise stories for all NPR platforms including broadcast, podcast and digital.
• Develops news sources.
• Covers stories as assigned by Washington Desk editors.
• Gathers materials on tape and otherwise, through interviews, press conferences and direct coverage of events.
• In consultation with editors and producers, organizes, edits and produces pieces and news spots.
• Collaborates with editors and show producers to shape on-air discussions (two-ways) and speaks fluently and conversationally live on the air.
• Fulfills administrative obligations arising from assignments, such as filing prompt and accurate expense records and program information/ summaries; maintaining contact with editors and appropriate producers; keeping editors and appropriate producers informed about assignments.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Political Science, Economics, History, Journalism or another writing-intensive discipline and/or equivalent work experience.
• At least five years of reporting experience covering the White House or national politics.
• Demonstrated ability to develop, report and write stories of interest to a national audience.
• Experience producing pieces, on-air conversations and live reports for radio, digital and social audiences.
• Ability to work quickly under deadline pressure. Must be able to report breaking stories for newscasts, major programs and digital.
• Ability and willingness to travel as needed.
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts.
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others, demonstrating at all times respect for the diverse constituencies at NPR and within the public radio system.
• A proven track record covering the White House.
• Experience covering breaking news with authority and accuracy.
• At least three years writing and voicing pieces and live two-ways for radio.
• Experience with content management systems and collaboration tools such as Google Docs, Basecamp, etc.
• Familiarity with NPR member stations and the public media system.
• Expertise in writing, with excellence in news writing, copy-editing and headline writing
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.