Promotions Producer, Programming
Full Time Job
NPR Programming is hiring a full-time Promotions Producer to create content for NPR Member Stations and the growing number of platforms where NPR can be heard. The producer will create stories and campaigns that will amplify and celebrate the value and values of public media, and deepen the listening connection.
This space is ripe for reinvention and fresh thinking, and the Promotions Producer has the ability to reshape the sound of public media – one promo and one break at a time. Creative work at NPR guided by data and best practices, and the Promotions Producer will use both, along with guidance and intelligence from a closely connected team to help maximize audience.
NPR is looking for a producer/journalist who thinks like a marketer; someone who’s deeply connected to the news, and thinks about promotion as a “news responsive” activity. If you want to wake up thinking about how to get more people to listen to All Things Considered more often, this is the gig for you. If you have promo aspirations beyond “cuts and copy,” this is the gig for you.
Among other things, you’ll make the daily promos for the number 1 and 2 radio programs in America – Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
The work you create will be heard on hundreds of NPR stations across the country, reaching nearly 40 million people on the radio, and millions more on podcasts and digital platforms. Few production opportunities have this reach and potential for impact. This position reports to NPR’s Senior Director of Promotion and Audience Development, and works side by side the NPR Newsroom, the daily news magazines, and NPR’s Programming Team.
The successful candidate will be a creative, collaborative producer and interviewer who can successfully work across NPR departments and programs to generate news-responsive content while respecting and expanding NPR’s storytelling aesthetic. We are looking for someone that can bring fresh ideas to the world of production. This position is an opportunity to expand the reach of public media.
Essential Duties Include:
• Produces audio creative for NPR stations and platforms
• Creates daily, weekly and branding promos for major NPR programs, including Morning Edition and All Things Considered.
• Leads development of news responsive promos during active news cycles
• Records audio at NPR and on location as needed
• May serve as host/interviewer in the audio creative
• Edits audio into format suitable for NPR stations and digital platforms
• Manages promo production process with NPR programs
• Actively manages relationship with show EP’s and hosts
• Creates production timelines, as well as technical and creative standards.
• Coordinates scheduling and studio booking
• Facilitates creative reviews
• Works with colleagues in News and Programming to coordinate scheduling and deadlines
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• At least seven years of audio production experience on broadcast digital audio workstations (i.e. MTE/DAVID, Dalet, ProTools or similar)
• At least five years of experience writing and producing creative material
• At least five years of experience working with daily deadlines
• At least five years of copywriting experience
• Immersed in daily news cycle and daily show production
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral
• Strong connection to and affinity for a fast moving daily news cycle
• Ability to work with internal and external collaborators in a way that is constructive and provides a positive station focused/customer experience
• Demonstrated ability to assimilate and organize large amounts of information
• Ability and willingness to work varied shifts
• Proven ability to consistently work well with others
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Experience in promotion, fundraising, or advertising
• Strong sense of shaping big ideas and narrative arcs under daily deadline pressure
• Experience with producing multi-track sonic sequences and editing long-form and short-form interview feature segments.
• Experience producing in and operating digital audio self-op facilities.
• Deep knowledge of music
• Project management experience preferred
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer that affirmatively seeks to hire veterans and people with disabilities. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.