Manager, Prospect Research
NPRCulver City, CA
Full Time Job
The Manager, Prospect Research is an integral role in the Development Operations team. He/she will be responsible for proactively identifying opportunities for prospect identification and qualification. He/she provides support to the major gift officers and leadership for effective fundraising at major giving and principal giving level. He/she works regularly with various development teams and leadership to ensure proper operation of prospect pipelines and provides collaborative advice for advancing fundraising. He/she will support research requests from assigned fundraisers to support the philanthropic efforts of the organization.
• Prepare background summaries for prospective donors and trustees that provide interests, university affiliations, and estimates of financial capacity to guide the development of cultivation and solicitation strategies by development officers
• Coordinate with gifts officers and leadership to provide relevant information in preparation for donor visits
• Prepares and distributes prospect management reports. In partnership with Data Analyst, develop necessary analytical reports that provide accurate projections of gifts in the pipeline and demographic.
• Analyze and synthesize accumulated financial, philanthropic and affinity data on individuals, corporations and private foundations to assess prospects, giving capability, philanthropic tendencies.
• Under direction of Director, Prospect Management assist with refinement to the prospect moves management design and concepts to adequately support the management and tracking of prospects, proposals, and donors.
• Populate the database with current information on prospect careers, financial assets, interests, relationships, affiliations and potential for philanthropic support.
• Partner with the Data Analyst to create, track and test prospect identification and qualification methods determining the approach that will yield the highest ROI.
• Review daily media alerts on key prospects, post relevant stories and share information relevant to prospect strategies with fundraisers.
• Participate in portfolio and prospect review meetings for assigned fundraisers.
• Maintain the highest standards in regards to data ethics, accuracy, collection, and transparency in data collection and analysis methodologies.
Experience/ Education Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree and extensive investigative and research skills.
• Minimum of five years’ experience in prospect research, development or related field preferably in a nonprofit environment.
• Strong understanding of fundraising principles and models.
• Ability to take charge of tasks and work independently without close supervision
• Demonstrated ability to think critically, analytically and efficiently to initiate and perform complex analyses with a thorough attention to detail and follow through.
• Skill in analyzing and organizing information to identify philanthropic patterns, tendencies, and relationships among individuals, corporations, and foundations.
• Demonstrated skill in utilizing multiple electronic resources such as Lexis/Nexis, iWave, WealthEngine, ResearchPoint or Foundation Search to locate and compile business and biographic information.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize work and independently manage multiple, diverse and competing priorities while meeting deadlines; plan and develop meaningful objectives; and integrate the work of prospect research into overall advancement office goals.
• Demonstrated ability to conceptualize and develop proactive prospecting methodologies to support organization goals; identify prospects (through constituent list segmentation, push technology, electronic database screening, and peer/constituency screening and rating); and understand wealth indicators, including income (estimated or public) and assets.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and work with sensitive information.
• Ability to work under the pressure of deadlines
• Excellent customer service, interpersonal, and presentation skills
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel is required.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Raisers Edge donor database, Salesforce or similar donor database.
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.