Correspondent, New Delhi
Full Time Job
The Correspondent, New Delhi develops ideas/proposals for reports and programs about India and South Asia; gathers information and materials for reports and programs; prepares, presents and transmits reports and program segments from abroad. S/he takes ownership of regional coverage from India and South Asia: reports breaking news and develops stories illustrating trends and significant political, economic, social and cultural issues.
Develops ideas/proposals for reports and programs:
• Conceives, proposes, plans and researches ideas for stories and program segments for all NPR news platforms: on-air, online, and social media
• Contributes original reporting and writing online, with a sophisticated understanding of how to tailor reporting and news to online audiences
• Develops news sources and keeps associated files
• Participates in departmental planning coverage
• Communicates regularly with international desk editors about news developments and story ideas
Gathers information and material for reports and programs:
• Covers stories as assigned by international desk editors. Will involve frequent travel in and out of India and the wider region, at times, under difficult conditions
• Gathers material on tape and otherwise, through interviews, press conferences, direct coverage of events. Advises editors of technical support required when and where necessary
Prepares and presents reports and program segments:
• In consultation with editors, organizes, edits, and produces reports and programs segments, including introductory and continuity materials
• Provides accurate information to editors for spotting reports in programs, for making payments, for keeping program records
• Writes and reads news summaries and hosts/anchors program/live coverage, under supervision of a producer, when so assigned
• Fulfills administrative obligations arising from assignments, such as filing prompt and accurate expense records and program information/summaries; maintaining contact with editors and appropriate producers; keeping editors and appropriate producers informed about assignments
Performs other duties as assigned:
• Prepares and presents special reports, series, documentaries, and program segments examining important subjects in depth
• Takes responsibility for developing a comprehensive area beat in India and as assigned
• Under the supervision of a producer or assigned editor, anchors or assists in presenting live coverage of hearings, major news conferences, and other broadcasting or news events
• Does original, investigative reporting, including the generation of ideas, and concepts and the development of plans for such reporting
• Must make regular and frequent trips through the region, as news dictates, to other nations and beyond that produce a variety of major stories, features, and program segments for various NPR programs
• Develops and makes use of extensive, proven broadcast production skills in the preparation of program materials and segments. Correspondent may serve as substitute host for NPR news programs
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Minimum of 6 years broadcast experience, including international reporting and radio production
• Demonstrated expertise in all aspects of broadcast journalism – reporting, voicing, editing, producing full radio pieces, use of microphones, recorders, computers and telecommunication transmissions via phone ISDN lines, satellite phones and/or Internet
• Must have experience in execution of sophisticated broadcast and online journalism, such as long-form features and documentaries
• Proven understanding of complex foreign policy issues, especially those involving India.
• In-depth knowledge of South Asian history, politics, and economics
• Travel and work in foreign countries
• Experience working in South Asia and experience in living and/or working in difficult international situations, including armed conflicts, preferred
If you apply for this job, here's what you can expect in our interview process.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.