Broadcast Systems Engineer
Full Time Job
As the Broadcast Systems Engineer on Distribution’s Engineering and Information Systems team, you will be working closely with a group of stations helping to institute their capability to deploy metadata over the airways and applications. The Public Radio Satellite System (PRSS) is teaming up with stations, middleware vendors and producers to create a robust platform to disseminate producer generated program metadata to millions of listeners via a variety of platforms, including radios, smartphone applications, and the web. You will become a partner on this team.
This is a grant-funded position for a period of 12 months with the possibility of an extension beyond the initial 12 month period.
What we are looking for:
• Someone with excellent communications skill and working with others
• Thirst to explore new technologies and how we and stations can utilize them
• Vast knowledge of the station broadcast environment
• Work directly with stations to expand current capabilities to distribute metadata
• Monitor the progress of station, producers and 3rd Party vendors for integration of tools (e.g. DAWs, receivers and storage devices associated with satellite transmissions and other specialized automation software/hardware) associated with MetaPub.
• Coordinate MetaPub/ContentDepot software releases with end users, reviewing changes and gathering feedback.
• Design operational monitoring and management policies and procedures for MetaPub usage (in conjunction with representatives of PRSS).
• Design, develop, and implement tools to enhance the ongoing systems monitoring and management capability (e.g. archiving, metrics dashboards).
• Prepare and/or coordinate preparation of documentation and training materials for users of the PRSS, NPR staff, and system administration staff.
• Provide technical information about the PRSS and its systems to staff, stations, distributors, and other users of the PRSS.
• Review existing operational issues and works to identify the source of the issue and resolve it.
• Identify and Define appropriate operational approaches (assessing viability using related costs and other considerations).
• Provide subject matter expertise related to operational requirements to development teams during design, build, and test of new products.
• Five years of work experience in the workflow of a radio station or production of metadata export required.
• Two to five years hands-on experience supporting advanced, network-focused computer operations and complex delivery/satellite interactions required, including 24X7 real-time transaction processing systems.
• Two years of experience in direct tier 2 user support of broadcast audio applications and topologies.
• Experienced in the design and operation of high-availability, redundant network topologies.
• Proven track record relating to setting up and configuration of RDS and HD PAD data. Experience documenting such systems with Visio or similar products.
• Demonstrated knowledge of monitoring and managing Delivery System components (including but not limited to encoders/decoders, receivers, storage devices, and station automation equipment) that support satellite content distribution.
• Demonstrated knowledge of IP networking, including digital audio.
• Experience with RDS encoders such as Inovonics, Audemat. Familiarity with HD Importers and Exporters
• Demonstrated knowledge of metadata software middleware vendors, such as ArticPalm, TRE and Padapult.
• Experience with broadcast automation systems such as AudioVault, Enco and others.
• Demonstrated understanding of all aspects of the relationship between PRSS and its customers.
• General knowledge of project planning for technology-heavy change initiatives, as well as system development/software application development cycles.
• Experience with Internet applications and development and maintenance of corporate intranets and/or custom applications. Experience implementing systems utilizing SQL, MySQL, and Postgres.
• Familiarity with the following computer Operating Systems and development languages desirable: Windows for desktops, Windows Server editions, UNIX (AIX/LINUX), PHP, Python.
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent organizational and project management skills.
• Broad knowledge of media issues and technology trends. Radio or public broadcasting experience required.
All applications must include a resume and cover letter to be considered.
NPR offers a competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits package including health and wellness benefits, retirement, and work/life balance programs, as well as opportunities for career growth and development.
NPR is an Equal Opportunity Employer.