Director Of Guest Experience
Milwaukee BucksMilwaukee, WI
Full Time Job
Position Summary: Acting under the general direction of the Vice President of Arena Experience, the Director of Guest Experience will make every effort to ensure that arena guests enjoy an elite level of professional service in keeping with the Arena Mission Statement. The main responsibilities include: planning a world-class service program, directing the efforts of both full and part time staff to facilitate that program, and utilizing various feedback channels to evaluate the implementation of the program. The Director of Guest Experience will also be responsible for fostering an exciting and fulfilling work environment for the part-time event employees who staff the Arena.
• Effectively recruit, select, and hire sufficient numbers of the best possible applicants to staff Guest Experience positions.
• Through the recruiting process, maintain the highest standard of professional capability within the Guest Experience event staff.
• Target applicants with high likelihood of retention in order to maximize staff experience.
• Design and implement a recruiting process that gives new employees a very positive first impression of the Arena.
• Optimize recruiting process and budget by analyzing information regarding staff levels and attrition.
• Work closely with service partners to develop a premier training program that is unique to the new Arena. Training curriculum must ensure that all Arena staff are proficient, service-oriented, performance-driven, and continually striving to improve.
• Ensure that all training programs adhere to organization-wide values and performance standards.
• Establish an effective system for evaluating and continually improving the effectiveness of training programs.
• The Arena training program will include:
• A values-based orientation for all newly-hired Arena employees.
• Functional training emphasizing the specific responsibilities of each employee's role.
• Special subject training to enhance staff expertise (e.g. – guest conflict resolution, guest alcohol-management, supervisor, etc.).
• Model performer training: a mentoring program for new employees working their first shift.
• Full Time Staff
• Direct the efforts of the Front of House Manager.
• Work closely with the Arena staff scheduler to ensure full staffing for each event.
• Effectively motivate and develop the critical skills of all full-time direct reports.
• Conduct performance coaching and evaluation as circumstances and policies require.
• Part Time Staff
• Proactively guide Arena event staff in adopting service values and policies.
• Monitor and manage all communications both to and from event staff.
• At appropriate intervals, meet regularly with managers of all service partners to review and evaluate guest-facing operations, staff appearance, rewards/recognition programs, and overall staff issues.
• Develop a rewards and recognition program to highlight and incentivize excellent work.
• Develop a system for ongoing performance evaluation, holding Arena staff accountable and identifying opportunities for improvement in critical areas of operation.
• Work with HR to adapt a coaching and counseling program that addresses substandard performance.
• Maintain a secret shopper program that provides timely feedback on staff performance for all service partners.
• Analyze performance across all sources of evaluation (Red Team reports, guest surveys, etc.). Identify actionable trends/issues and conduct follow-up through the rewards/recognition and coaching/counseling programs.
• In tandem with Arena Human Resources, keep abreast of state and federal labor laws to ensure full compliance with all applicable regulations.
Uniform & Appearance
• Develop, implement, and maintain a uniform and appearance plan that supports staff morale while presenting the best possible image of the Arena and the Bucks Organization.
• Develop documentation and training that effectively communicates uniform and appearance expectations, policies, and standards to the event staff.
• Design and implement policies that will guide all frontline managers and supervisors in maintaining a consistently professional staff appearance.
• Manage and motivate a uniform service staff group that will maintain and distribute the uniform pieces, materials, and equipment which will support and promote the appearance of the event staff.
• Monitor all channels of guest communication (email, telephone, in-person, etc.). Identify actionable trends and direct follow-up where necessary.
• Take the lead in soliciting guest input and incorporating it into Arena policies.
• Assist in monitoring social media websites (Yelp, Twitter, etc.) for guests' comments in relation to their experiences at the Arena.
• In collaboration with the Vice President of Arena Experience, craft a responsible budget that translates the Organization's resources into initiatives that benefit both the employee and guest experiences.
• Prepare budget and staffing estimates, as needed, on a per-event basis.
• Represent the Guest Experience team and its mission to the leaders of each department within the Arena and Bucks Organization.
• Continually evaluate crowd management plans for all events and contingencies.
• Working with touring event managers, implement service requirements unique to each event.
• Establish working protocols for the work of Guest Experience staff posted in the event command post.
• Maintain a visible presence to both staff and guests, especially during large events.
• Minimum four-year college degree or equivalent experience.
• Minimum eight years of public assembly venue experience with knowledge of managing a large frontline service team.
• Extensive experience recruiting, managing, coaching, and motivating multiple direct reports – both full-time and part-time.
• Exceptional communication skills, both written and oral.
• Ability to craft presentations that are both educational and engaging.
• Must be a confident public speaker, able to present to large groups of people.
• Possess a positive and enthusiastic personality with a passion for her/his work, an openness to learning, and a superior work ethic.
• Experience in managing robust databases.
• Ability to juggle numerous projects and tasks concurrently.
• Working knowledge of programs such as PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook.
• Must be detail-oriented.
• Must be able to work weekends, evenings, and holidays in addition to regular business hours.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
• How did you hear about this job?