Method StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
The Rigging Lead is responsible for the smooth running of the rigging pipeline, working closely with the Rigging Supervisor. This will require maintaining existing technology, integrating third-party technology, and designing and implementing all-new, proprietary technology. This is a broad role which encompasses many departments and disciplines, including but not limited to: modeling, texturing, rigging, creature FX, (including at least fur, cloth, soft-body deformations), and animation.
The Rigging Lead is expected to have a holistic view of the pipeline and be able to design or help design and maintain a smooth and efficient pipeline for rigging photorealistic CG assets, and leading/mentoring other riggers.The Rigging Lead will work collaboratively with the leads of many other departments. He or she must have a strong understanding of CG pipelines and production methods and a strong management style with excellent organizational and artistic skills. He or she must also be able to work with the global teams of the other Method facilities and attend meetings regularly. Occasional travel to other Method locations might be required.
The Rigging Lead will work closely with the Rigging and Animation Teams to ensure that the productions' needs are understood and met, and that animators have fast, efficient, intuitive puppets.The Rigging Lead should be comfortable managing teams, (including interviewing, scheduling, and mentoring artists). He or she is also required to develop a deep understanding of the studio pipeline, work within it, and ensure that his/her artists are doing the same.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Creating and maintain a strong, reliable, efficient Rigging pipeline
• Maintain a close working relationship with the Rigging & Animation Teams
• Act as a bridge between the Creature Team and the various productions
• Work with other locations on global rigging projects
• In conjunction with the studio's scheduling team, manage rigging department and staff
• Manage software and tools development
• Critiquing artists' work
• Using tools and software developed in-house, proprietary tools, or off-the-shelf software, help create photo-realistic creatures
• Must be adept at balancing the creation of final renders for shots with building/maintaining systems for creating shots
• Must work within the studio pipeline and publish tools and scripts as prescribed
• Must follow the creative direction of the production communicated by his/her supervisors
• Will need to balance creative requests with the resources available
• Ability to work in a team environment under tight deadlines
• Minimum five-year experience as a Rigging Lead
• Expert knowledge of Maya
• Tool building and scripting knowledge an asset
• Knowledge of other packages an asset: Motion Builder and Houdini in particular
• Experience with proprietary software
• Knowledge motion capture techniques and software
• Excellent artistic skills
• Some scripting skills an asset
• Demonstrable ability to communicate creative and technical thoughts and ideas
• Able to take directions and adaptable to change
• Good at improvising and problem-solving
• Linux experience preferred
This is a full-time contract position requiring periodic overtime.