Pipeline Lead - Color Scientist
Method StudiosVancouver, BC
Full Time Job
Method pipeline leads help shape the evolution of our technologies and workflows to enable productions to work more quickly and efficiently. The Lead Colour Scientist has purview of the company's entire colour pipeline, from show set up and ingestion to final delivery. For this role, we are looking for candidates with experience working on VFX feature films and a strong technical background in colour science for film. This includes expertise in the following areas:
• Colour science concepts and implementations with OCIO
• Aces standard colour spaces, custom camera colour pipelines
• DI processing techniques
• HDR display concepts
• Grading systems such as Baselight, Da Vinci Resolve
• Camera hardware and camera metadata format
• Grade managment with CDLs and metadata
• Monitor and cinema projector calibration
• Nuke and digital compositing
As part of their role, the Lead Colour Scientist will be actively collaborating with department heads, artists and production crew from multiple departments, e.g.:
Duties & Responsibilities
• Lead all projects within the Colour area of the pipeline.
• Meet with 2D department leadership to identify issues and discuss priorities.Meet weekly with Head of Software and Project Manager for site to prioritize and schedule Colour development tasks.
• Openly communicate schedule to software department and 2D production leadership.Run regular ''stand-up'' meetings with developers for active development projects to confirm expected progress and identify issues.
• Architect, design, and plan facility colour pipeline.
• Create custom colour viewing and processing solutions for projects.
• Work with the team to design and implement projects supporting the studio's colour, ingestion and delivery pipeline.Establish and review department standards over time based on needs.
• Get involved in code reviews and process pull requests.
• Provide support for Show supervisors and Show TDs as we configure the colour pipeline for shows.
• Work with developers to setup demos and communicate updates, new tools, and standards to all of production.
• Quarterly travel to other Method sites to meet with developers and users.
• Computer Science degree or equivalent practical experience.
• 5 years of experience in VFX.
• 5 years of Python experience.
• Experience with RV, Nuke, and other digital content creation software.
• Experience with OCIO, OIIO and other colour management solutions.
• Experience with grading using BaseLight, DaVinci Resolve, or similar.
• Experience with camera hardware and data formats.
• Experience with grade, colour space conversions and lut design.
• Warm, welcoming personality and a passion for film and VFX.
• Experience as a team lead.
• Familiarity with other VFX applications (Flame, Avid, Shotgun).
• Knowledge of film and chemical film processing.
• Experience developing in C and shell scripting.
• Experience in digital compositing and digital imagery.