Summer Intern - Media Management and Taxonomy
HBONew York, NY
Full Time Unpaid Internship
HBO Media Management and Taxonomy is a technology business unit of Digital Production Services. Internship focus is within the following concentrations:
• Taxonomy and ontology development
• Metadata management
• Data mining and reporting
The ideal intern candidate is hardworking with a positive attitude, interested in terminology standards, detail-oriented, able to work independently and as part of a team, and has previous intern or professional experience.
• Expand and improve metadata terms in a taxonomy system
• Identifying and documenting relationships between one or more terms
• Assist in data mapping exercises
• Assist in the analysis of existing data and making recommendations for data normalization
• Assist in requirements gathering from business areas throughout the company for taxonomy-related projects
• Contribute to policy and best practices documents
• Participate in department meetings, shadowing managers, and attending project meetings
• Must be a graduate student in Library Science or Information Science program (or other equivalent degree)
• Summer intern must be able to work 35 hours/week in NY office
• Spring/Fall intern must be available to work 15 hours/week in NY office
• Must have taken Intro to Metadata class and/or have equivalent experience
• Familiarity with metadata and/or cataloging standards
• Experience or familiarity with a digital asset management system, content management system or other structured database
• Experience or familiarity with data analysis tools
• Experience or familiarity with film and TV production workflows
• Experience or familiarity with digital asset formats, including video and audio formats
• Familiarity with XML
• Experience using Microsoft Office programs
The Internship Programs are designed to offer undergraduate and select graduate students the opportunity to learn how we provide programming for the cable industry and distribute entertainment content around the world. The programs will include Orientation, Project HBO, Speaker Series, Social Activities, Learning and Development Workshops, a Farewell Lunch, and more.
Note: Only applications submitted online will be accepted. HBO welcomes all applicants for this position; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
About Us It's HBOSM
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services-HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.