ESPNLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
ESPN Production Operations is a unit within the Production division of ESPN Content. Our staff comprises Network Control, Content Edit, Studio Operations, Production Control Rooms, Facility Resources and Business Operations. We also have specialists in resource project coordination and administration. Though we staff many traditional roles in the television industry, our work is produced and then converted into many formats for distribution on multiple linear and digital platforms.
The Production Control Room Group or PCR is the largest group in Production Operations and includes audio, TD and video playout/edit related positions. PCR staff work directly with our live studio shows and events to produce the highest quality product with our signature ESPN brand.
Technical Directors work with the directors and staff in the control room before and during productions. Work will be performed in a fast-paced environment for a wide variety of studio shows and events. The Technical Director in the PCR group will be responsible for preparing and switching video elements during live and pre-recorded productions while ensuring all content meets ESPN's high standards of quality.
• Proficient operation of all broadcast equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to Technical Directing functions (e.g. operating video switchers, implementing sources, creating displays, interfacing with external devices, creating user and suite preferences).
• Building and maintaining effects for various productions, providing associated communication and documentation to the entire Technical Directing team.
• Demonstrating solid knowledge of plant signal flow/routing.
• Measuring video signals to ensure quality control of ESPN endorsed standards on all operations using comprehensive knowledge of broadcast methods.
• Performing proficiently under strict timelines and/or live conditions.
• Understanding complex information and disseminating it to proper personnel in a clear and concise manner.
• Knowledge of specific workflows for identifying and resolving operational errors and equipment failure.
• Expected to file reports, as necessary, on specific working conditions, equipment status, and personal development at the request of management.
• Prioritizing and disseminating information among the entire control room crew to ensure seamless productions.
• Participating special event coverage and projects as necessary.
• May train others in operational areas and if so, required to generate training documentation.
• Participation in required administrative tasks including, but not limited to, the effective utilization of all ESPN software based applications (such as time entry, travel and expense filing,) and daily shift reporting.
• Embrace company initiatives including town and/or departmental meetings, upward feedback, performance management applications and employee surveys. Encourage others to do the same.
• Problem-solving, troubleshooting and effective communication to best convey any issues needing resolution.
• Seeking out information in regards to the workflow of other business units, including their impact and/or specific integration with Production Operations, and utilizing that information to enhance processes and/or educate others.
• Participation in training programs, (physical, classroom, virtual, etc.) for self-career development and/or regarding any relevant equipment and workflow changes within the operation.
• Supporting ESPN Domestic networks, including Deportes, as well as all ESPN International networks.
• Minimum of 2 years practical TV Production or related experience at the large market or network level.
• Ability to work nights, early mornings, weekends, and holidays.
• Flexibility to alter shifts/days off and work overtime to accommodate projects and departmental objectives.
• Must demonstrate ability to perform tasks under tight deadlines, work independently and participate in simultaneous projects.
• Strong interpersonal communication skills are a necessity.
• Organizational, efficiency and planning skills are required.
• Ability to work as a part of a team dynamic.
• Must be willing and able to adapt to a constantly changing environment. Candidates must have good computer background (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc...) and strong communication skills.
• Proficient knowledge of all TV Production equipment and technology within assigned operating areas, including but not limited to: Video production switchers, Sony MVS8000, NewTek Tricaster, server-based recording/playback systems and related control devices, TV Production routers, intercom systems, signal conversion equipment, etc.
• Experience in a live production control room environment.
• Familiarity with production control room automation systems (e.g. Grass Valley Ignite).
• Candidates must have a strong computer background (Outlook, ENPS, Word, Excel, etc...) including experience with computer network signal flow.
• Directing in a live event production environment, a plus
• Bilingual (written and spoken) in both English and Spanish.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent.
• A College or Technical School degree in communications, electronics, television production or related field.
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.