Java Software Engineer
Full Time Job
ESPN is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to be a critical member of the application development team responsible the company's consumer digital video applications which run on a variety platforms including mobile phones, tablets, game consoles and set top boxes. As a senior member of the team this individual will concentrate on the architecture, planning and development of the data, configuration and editorial services powering these experiences. The ideal candidate will have substantial experience in web application and web service development as well generally diverse software experience with an interest in learning new technologies. This position will be located in ESPN's Bristol CT headquarters.
• Be a core contributor to the development, enhancement and maintenance of the data, configuration and editorial services powering ESPN's consumer video applications, sites and related technology
• Design and develop rich web tools used by ESPN's Editorial and Content Management teams.
• Work closely with ESPN consumer product owners and app design teams to specify, design and plan the development of existing products for new platforms, improvement of existing products and development of special features.
• Work closely with Project Management to plan project work for yourself and fellow team members in an agile manner.
• Contribute to cross platform architectural planning and development practices of the entire team
• Collaborate with other ESPN technology teams providing fundamental pieces of the digital video ecosystem including, core content APIs, video workflow, video encoding & distribution and configuration management.
• Participate in the selection of vendors contracted to augment engineering staff and oversee the engineering efforts executed by them
• 4 years of relevant professional software development experience
• 3 years hands-on professional development experience with server-side Java technologies, Spring Boot, AWS, Docker, ORM concepts and frameworks
• Strong understanding of Relational and NoSQL databases, Java caching and caching providers, continuous integration, and software and API testing and validation
• Strong understanding of HTTP and REST-style web services
• Strong understanding of multi-tier web architectures, and OO design patterns and concepts
• A sound understanding of server side software, scalability, performance, and reliability
• Must demonstrate solid organization/communication skills
• Ability to work in a fast paced, team-oriented and iterative programming environment with a disposition for keeping up with latest technologies.
• Experience building on a significant consumer app that is currently available in the marketplace
• Experience developing applications that include audio or video content
• Experience with agile software development practice, scrum, sprint planning, retrospectives, etc.
• Bachelor degree in computer science, related technical discipline or its equivalent.
At Disney, we're storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
ESPN is an equal opportunity employer - Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Our goal is to create an inclusive workplace for all.