Technical Product Manager
Disney ABC Television GroupBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Technical Product Manager (Scrum Master)
This role is a part of the Software Engineering team within the Disney|ABC Television Group - Media IT organization. We strive to be a diverse team, passionate about great technology applied creatively to solve complex business problems. We strive to be flexible and adaptable to change both in how we execute projects and in the technologies we use to deliver our solutions. We care about the details because every pixel, every line of code and every user interaction with our products determines whether we are delivering on our commitment to producing the very best products possible. You'll be joining a talented team that works interdependently toward aggressive goals to deliver technically sound solutions. We work to ensure that we share both accountability and credit as a team.
We're looking for a passionate, impactful, Product Manager who wants to come here to do their very best work and make their mark, add their chapter to the long and storied history of The Walt Disney Company. Someone who holds themselves and their teammates accountable in a professional, collaborative manner. A creative and collaborative product leader who seeks to bring out the best in themselves and those around them, while providing a fresh perspective and innovative insight to our initiatives. A multi-disciplinary technical project leader who has a successful track record of owning web application product delivery, soup to nuts.
• Do you instinctually envision beautiful software solutions when you learn about business needs or pain-points?
• Are you a hands-on strategic leader who is laser focused on motivating teams and driving results?
• Do you thrive in a highly collaborative and highly accountable culture?
In this role, you will need to work cross-functionally with engineering leads, technical product owners, project managers and business teams to establish and uphold product visions, roadmaps, and project execution strategy. On a daily basis, you will be expected to take a high-ownership, hands-on, and organized approach to driving the product vision down through all layers of software engineering team: strategically driving UX, product and application design, project planning & execution, and technical delivery in a fast-paced Agile/Scrum environment. You will function as Scrum Master and it will be your job to execute the product vision and roadmap without compromising sound application architecture, code quality, user experience, and engineering team morale. You will make sure we are doing the right thing by our users by focusing equally on functional and non-functional requirements.
Take a hands-on approach to owning all aspects of Product Management:
• Work with software engineering leads, technical product owners, and business teams to establish product visions, roadmaps, and execution strategy
• Collaborate with Product Design to drive and validate UX requirements, craft web design, and gain early user adoption through rapid-prototyping
• Collaborate closely with technical product owners to populate, groom, and prioritize the product backlog
• Collaborate with the team to understand the implementation details involved in each story
• Conduct story workshops as part of project initiation to assist the product teams in populating a full product backlog
Take a hands-on approach to owning all aspects of Project Management:
• Maintain published project delivery schedules, budgets for the software development portion of the project in cooperation with project managers
• Passionately lead projects utilizing Agile (Scrum) software development methodologies
• Champion and drive delivery through the Five Levels of Agile Planning: Vision, Roadmap, Release Plan, Sprint Plan, Day Plan
• Conduct and increase the value of all Scrum meetings including the daily Scrum with multiple Agile product teams
• Ensure that the team work flow is sustainable by ensuring the work is balanced and progressing, while eliminating roadblocks and ensuring delivery
Take a hands-on approach to driving all aspects of Technical Delivery:
• Deliver high quality software solutions that meet all functional and non-functional requirements
• Facilitate cross-functional collaboration across Engineering, UI, and Product/UX leads
• Promote and ensure adherence to coding, unit testing, test automation, and Continuous Delivery best practices
• Willingness and ability to handle requests outside of your core responsibilities up to and including software engineering tasks; code reviews, writing code on occasion, etc.
• Work collaboratively with other teams; QA, UX, EA, Client Engagement, InfoSec, etc. to align work for the team as per the schedule
Regularly present, communicate, and evangelize all aspects of the product/project to stakeholders at all levels: C Level and project team members alike.
• Have 3-5 years of experience in web application development or software engineering in a large enterprise environment using Java, including familiarity with modern frameworks (e.g., Spring, Hibernate) and data stores (RDBMS, NoSQL, MongoDB, etc)
• Hold a current ScrumMaster certification or recognition of your Agile project experience
• Have 1-2 years (or more) of experience leading Agile projects in a fast-paced environment
• Care about your software development craft and have opinions about the ''right'' way to do things with technology and the process of doing it
• Previous work experience in media production, broadcast and/or distribution
• Experience working with vendor teams to deliver high quality results
• Strong curiosity about how Disney delivers the Magic and a desire to be a part of it
• Hold a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering, or another technical field
• Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Software Management or related technical discipline is highly desirable