Managing Editor - News
Disney ABC Television GroupNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The ''Managing Editor - News'' is an editorial leader who will oversee our day-to-day and long-term news coverage. They will help determine how ABC News evolves and differentiates our national and international storytelling as we aggressively grow our audience, revenue and brand.
This team leader will manage and coach assignment editors, line editors and reporters focused on both breaking and enterprise coverage, while pushing toward audience growth targets. In doing so, they will prioritize and assign resources dedicated to creating digital content for ABC News platforms, in close collaboration with colleagues across our newsgathering, show, social, platforms and analytics teams.
This editor will be a self-starter and enthusiastic mentor-advocate. They have impeccable news judgment, strong planning skills, and thrive in a fast-paced environment. Moreover, they will understand and embrace the changing landscape of today's news business - and play a key role in evangelizing digital priorities throughout the news division. They understand how news travels and shares across different digital platforms, especially when it comes to mobile and social. They understand how video and text complement each other, and can identify the best video formats and visuals for a particular story. They will ensure that all efforts ladder into all ABC News initiatives around target audience, tentpole coverage areas and news division integration.
• 8 years in an editorial leadership role
• Oversee editorial leads for national, international, political and investigative news teams
• Innately understand how to lead breaking news coverage
• Be ready to demonstrate, coach and evangelize a digital-first approach that turbo-charges the power of ABC News
• Coordinate daily and long-term story and multimedia assignments, with an emphasis on visual and sharable storytelling
• Be fluent in SEO and headline writing best practices, as well as AP style
• Be ready to evolve, innovate and collaborate at all times
• BA or equivalent work experience
Equal Opportunity Employer Female/Minority/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity