VP - Product
Discovery CommunicationsLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) satisfies curiosity and captivates superfans around the globe with a portfolio of premium nonfiction, lifestyle, sports and kids content brands including Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe. Available in more than 220 countries and territories, Discovery's programming reaches 3 billion cumulative viewers, who together consume 54 billion hours of Discovery content each year. Discovery’s offering extends beyond traditional TV to all screens, including TV Everywhere products such as the GO portfolio and Discovery Kids Play; over-the-top streaming services such as Eurosport Player; digital-first and social video from Group Nine Media; and virtual reality storytelling through Discovery VR.
Discovery Communications is also a purpose-driven company dedicated to not only entertaining but inspiring. For 30 years Discovery has told stories that entertain, inspire and enlighten billions of viewers around the world, about the world. As importantly, the company is committed to making the world a better place by leveraging its market-leading global platform, and by extending the reach and influence of like-minded organizations and causes.
Jay Trinidad has been Managing Director of Digital Ventures at Discovery since September 2017. Jay’s focus is on expanding Discovery's brands and entertainment business into digital growth areas globally. He has been Senior Vice President and General Manager of Northeast Asia at Discovery Networks Asia Pacific since July 2016. Jay focuses on expanding the business and brands beyond pay- TV platforms toward a true convergent media and entertainment company at Discovery. He is also tasked with delivering compelling brand experiences to the millennial audience by redefining Discovery's suite of products. He began his career at Google and spent a decade as one of their early hires, working across advertising, search, strategy, operations and products including Chrome and he rose through the ranks to become the Head of Consumer Marketing and Operations for the Asia region and was responsible for driving the acquisition of millions of new users for Google Chrome - making it the number one browser in Asia. Jay served with McDonald's Japan as Vice President of Digital where he led their strategy and intensified the customer experience and engagement through digital innovation. He served as Director of Business Operations at Gengo, Inc. and also held senior roles. Jay holds a Bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Stanford University.
Reporting to Jay Trinidad, the Vice President of Product will be responsible for the design and deployment of innovative, elegant digital products that are well loved by viewers globally. The senior product executive will grow and lead a talented team in designing, building, and delivering products across multiple geographies, on time, and within budget.
1. Working closely with the executive team, define the over-arching vision and strategy for the OTT product organization in collaboration with the engineering and cross-functional teams
2. Align the organization around this vision and the necessary steps to succeed
3. Empower other team to deliver state-of-the-art digital experiences across web, mobile and new platforms while remaining aligned to the core vision and mission
4. Identify the people and resources needed to drive the vision and build a team to execute on the vision
5. Evaluate potential partnerships as a way to accelerate delivery on vision and strategy
6. Provide transparency around objectives and success metrics and the direction and progress towards these objectives
* Led product teams with proven business impact, ideally in consumer app or web space
* Ideally experienced in building apps and services for digital video businesses
* Has launched products across platforms including mobile, web, iPad, etc…
* A user champion, with demonstrated ability to understand broader trends, interpret needs, and deliver highly effective user-centric initiatives
* Must be comfortable with change and operating in a fast-paced environment
* A data-centric approach to identifying opportunities and testing changes
* Strong communicator with the ability to articulate and deliver a vision and its components to all areas of the organization, from small teams to executive and the board.
* Highly collaborative, creative and insightful
* Organized and driven to build the best possible things that matter
* Passionate about the idea of building products that positively impacts children
* Must have the legal right to work in the US