Discovery CommunicationsSterling, VA
Full Time Job
Discovery Communications is the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer reaching 2.7 billion cumulative subscribers in more than 220 countries and territories, and the Global Technology & Operations team, of which the TOC Operator is a member, provides the technological infrastructure and operations to ensure that audiences can enjoy Discovery's programming around the world and across platforms.
The TOC Operator will operate and monitor all facets of both primary and backup Discovery Teleports on a 24 / 7 /365 operation. These include the satellite receive and transmit systems for all Discovery programming. Additionally, this position will monitor and maintain the multiplexes, fiber distribution systems and affiliate receive systems for Discovery services at various locations. The TOC Operator will execute standards and quality control check processes for all outbound Discovery services.
1. Strengthen the transmission reliability of the Discovery North America Networks to all of their affiliates by making intelligent decisions and handling on air emergencies and discrepancies as they occur.
2. The TOC Operator must be able to handle any necessary switching of transmission systems during normal or emergency conditions to ensure that all services remain on the air.
3. Provide input and issue written reports to various factions of the Global Technology & Operations groups about transmission system reliability.
4. Routinely check all physical plant remote alarms in the teleport shelter and remote co-located equipment areas including but not limited to HPA systems, uplink chains, local receive equipment, and facility wide support systems.
5. Monitor the health of every on-air and backup system confirming all 70 Discovery Networks are operational and operating within proper performance specifications
6. Manage and control local and national fiber connectivity between DCI facilities and remote locations throughout the world. Coordinate ad hoc programming and live events from multiple locations. Interface and manage external satellite teleport vendors when required. Perform on-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full time services.
7. Develop corporate oversight/participation in Transmission Technologies for Domestic services.
8. Strengthen management of key transmission related initiatives within DCI.
9. Assist with training, coaching and development of Distribution Staff Members as needed.
* 4-7 years of experience in RF and transmission systems preferred.
* 4-7 years experience with Domestic and International Television Satellite compression and distribution systems preferred.
* Candidates should have C-band RF experience along with a familiarity with Motorola and Cisco encoding systems.
* Candidate is required to have experience with Television Distribution Systems – fiber and satellite based, as well as Satellite Monitoring and control Systems
* Candidates should have the ability to operate associated test equipment including but not limited to spectrum analyzer, power meter, signal generator, oscilloscope, video waveform monitor, vector scope and transport stream analyzer.
* Specific experience and expertise in troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues, signal routing, systems integration and maintenance and use of Video, Audio, RF and Transport Stream Analysis equipment is required.
* Candidate should have working knowledge of MPEG-2/4 encoding technology, encryption/ authorization technology and TVRO receive systems, with specific experience with Arris DCII, Arris Modular, and Cisco Power VU systems.
* Candidates should have a basic knowledge of architectural, mechanical, and electrical systems and there interaction with the distribution equipment.
* Candidate must have the ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment
* Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities and close attention to details are required.
* Overnight, weekend, holidays, and rotating shifts are required as this is a 365/24/7 mission critical position to support the distribution reliability of Discovery Communications services.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by his/her direct manager.
* Candidate must possess the legal right to work in the United States.