Sr Manager SEC Reporting and Accounting
Discovery CommunicationsSilver Spring, VA
Full Time Job
Manage elements of Discovery’s SEC reporting group and ensuring compliance with US GAAP as well as SEC and FASB rules and regulations in financial reports, company records and material transactions. This position is responsible for staff oversite to ensure the production of accurate financial statements and disclosures in required SEC periodic filings (i.e. 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K) as well as other external and governmental reports and releases. This position also assists in the management of the global accounting master issues list. This position works closely with the Investor Relations team, as well as business unit accounting leaders and the finance leaders in a number of areas including mergers and acquisitions and financing transactions.
1. Review draft preparations and oversee coordination of review, and filing of SEC documents, including Form 10-K and Form 10-Q. Review documentation to ensure team compliance with GAAP and SEC rules and regulations.
2. Review interpretation and implementation of new accounting pronouncements, revise, review, and update documentation required for accounting policies and project manage the task to oversee the company wide implementation of those policies.
3. Analyze accounting research and review documentation and recommend alternative and appropriate financial reporting presentation and disclosure requirements for proposed or actual transactions.
4. Influence emerging accounting standards through communication of Discovery’s position on proposed pronouncements to the standard setting bodies such as the FASB.
5. Oversee coordination with Discovery’s Corporate Accounting group, FP&A group, and Functional Controllers to ensure financial reporting compliance with new pronouncements or policies.
6. Review tie-out support prepared by others for financial reporting and SOX compliance.
7. Communicate clearly to the Investor Relations group any comments with respect to periodic announcements and analysis of results.
8. Oversee documentation of the SOX process. Primarily responsible for leading performance and documentation of internal controls over external financial reporting.
9. Work with all divisions, as well as, independent auditors to understand, research, finalize, financial reporting issues and interpretations.
10. Ensure there is global consistency with financial reporting.
11. Oversee the preparation of ad hoc projects and prepare responses to various requests for information.
* Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field
* CPA candidacy required.
* Eight to ten years of accounting and reporting experience.
* Background in “Big 4” public accounting and corporate financial reporting experience required.
* Knowledge and experience with SEC reporting required.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills are required, particularly with respect to technical accounting.
* In-depth knowledge of US GAAP and SEC rules and regulations are necessary.
* Proficient in enterprise information systems. Proficient in MS Office applications.
* High integrity individual.
* Team player.
* Extremely detail and results-oriented.
* Motivated by challenging, high-energy environment.
* Able to motivate others with respect to work quality and deadlines.
* Demonstrated self-starter. Must have excellent verbal and written communication, analytical, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
* Requires standard computer skills. Candidate must have working ability with Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Word and Outlook. Candidate must have ability to perform technical research using various research tools. It is preferred that Candidate has some working knowledge of SAP.
* Strong project management skills to establish and meet deadlines.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Silver Spring, Maryland, MD, SS, Washington, DC