Director - Audience Development
Discovery CommunicationsNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Discovery's Digital Media group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery Communications. We are fast, nimble and have fun developing new, innovative and immersive digital content for thirteen iconic brands, including Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery and Animal Planet.
We are a small but mighty team working at the crossroads of technology and entertainment. As content creators in the digital space, we’re building on the Discovery legacy by using technology to evolve the viewing experience… telling better, more engaging stories to millions of viewers across the Internet every day.
What’s in it for you?
This is an incredibly exciting time to join the digital business. As the Digital Audience Development Director, your insights will play a key role in the evolution and success of the digital content business. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a dynamic, passionate and incredibly talented creative team. With your in-depth understanding of digital and social viewing behaviour, along with your creative thinking you will translate data into key business insights, that will help drive the success of the business.
1. A digital media pro with proven ability to gain meaningful insight from data, and translate it into digestible and actionable business insights.
2. The ability to use data to tell a compelling story and in doing so influence the creation of content that delivers on specific metrics.
3. Lead and implement a digital media strategy that factors in parallel efforts to engage the audience via social media and other points of distribution in the network.
4. The ability to think conceptually and strategically, but also be willing to roll up your sleeves and execute on a self-starting basis across the Discovery portfolio of brands: Science, Animal Planet, Discovery, TLC, ID, Velocity, AHC, Destination America and Discovery Life.
Day to day responsibilities:
1. Review and interpret complex data, then translate and communicate it to the producers and original content team so they know what it means creatively.
2. Provide creative solutions based on key trends
3. Manage key internal and external partner relationships, coordinating communication across the digital social portfolio
4. Facilitate both tactical and high-level communication with internal partners
5. Provide regular reporting and dashboards based on audience size, engagement metrics and time spent to measure growth and inform ongoing strategy shifts
6. Execute against key performance indicators by constantly adjusting weekly tactics with an eye toward long term goals
7. Design, develop and implement SEO, SEM and social media optimization models to be used daily across multiple shows -desirable
* Proven experience working effectively within a matrixed media environment.
* Proven ability to lead and influence
* Experience of effectively leading teams in a fast-moving development environment, harnessing the right methodology as needed for team and project success.
* Demonstrate success in building out dashboards
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic start-up environment
* Meticulous attention to detail & strong organization skills
* Bachelor's degree in related field or an equivalent combination of skills, training and hands-on experience.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
New York, New York City, NYC, NY