Director Of Digital Cinematography
Blue Sky StudiosGreenwich, CT
Full Time Job
Director of Digital Cinematography (Blue Sky Studios)
The Director of Digital Cinematography is responsible for collaborating with the Director to create the visual identity of the film. This includes overseeing the work of the Previs and Camera/Staging teams. As well as partnering with all departments through the lighting process.
The role of the Director of Digital Cinematography is vital to the development and execution of the final look of the film production by creatively overseeing the cameras. Responsible for the plan and vision of the film, they are authorized and empowered to make camera decisions throughout the process with input from the director and other supervisors.
Principal duties and responsibilities :
- Analyze script as a whole, assess story structure and characters and partnering with the director, develop a shooting style.
- Along with the Production Designer, and head of lighting, develop a comprehensive visual plan for the film in presentable form.
- Direct camera work in all departments from Story through TD Sweatbox through Lighting.
- Interpret 2D Storyboards into a 3-dimensional framework. Oversee and maintain cinematography quality and consistency for all sequences and shots. Expand on and plus the storyboards when in disagreement with the camera plan
- Partner with the Head of Story in order to make consistent, story driven choices.
- Make lighting and camera choices that push the emotional arcs already present in the story.
- Attend meetings and rounds related to the position, keep communication with up and downstream departments.
- Ensure that shot complexity, character simplification and continuity are managed throughout the process.
- Working with Camera/Staging and Previs departments on casting shots/assignments to artists and overall performance of the teams.
- Partner with CG Supervisor and Production Designer to incorporate departmental concerns into process.
- Provide creative and technical solutions to aesthetic problems.
- Ensure the development and integration of toolset for camera departments.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Computer Visualization, or Computer Animation required or equivalent work experience
- 7-10 years of experience creating cinematic pre-visualization or layout for CG animation or feature film productions, with at least 2 years of Lead experience.
- Previous experience in a leadership role on a Feature film or Animated Feature project with a strong interest in Rough Layout, Layout, Final Layout, and Set Dressing and Stereoscopy.
- Expertise in scene, shot, camera, and character composition
- Exposure to modeling, lighting, texturing and animation
- Strong knowledge of terminology and techniques used in film, animation and visual effects including knowledge of photography and camera lenses.
- Strong understanding of cinematography a must.
- A strong working knowledge of the principles of cinematic staging, blocking and camera work.
- Demonstrated expertise using Maya is required, with good working knowledge of Unix/Linux.
- Scripting and programming skills a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.