Intern - Music Publicity & Studio
Behind the Curtains MediaBrooklyn, NY
Part Time Unpaid Internship
Independent music PR / radio promotions company and recording studio in Brooklyn, NY is looking for a few music loving individuals who can help in all aspects of our business. We're happy to cater the internship based on your interest and experience! We are a boutique and independent company that offers a range of services for artists, with a in-house recording studio!
We have had a strong success rate with the clients we have worked with because we value quality and passion above all else - we want to see those qualities in our interns too! We work with all genres of artists, but lean heavily into the indie scene - from indie rock, alternative, folk, garage, psychedelic, experimental, electro-pop, indie pop, singer-songwriter, selective hip hop and more!
You'll get an inside scoop to the in's and out's of music PR and radio promotion (college/non-commericial) as you assist with various campaigns and tasks!
Tasks & Responsibilities may include:
- Assist with radio campaign mailings
- Draft artist press pages and e-mail campaigns, for radio campaigns
- Communicate directly with radio station music directors to follow up on submissions and assist in securing radio airplay and potential chart support. This includes e-mails and lots of phone calls, so you should be comfortable with picking up the phone!
- Assist with compiling radio campaign reports
- Assist in data entry and upkeep of radio logging
- Review music submissions
- Contact appropriate labels and artists to bring in new potential clients. (commission possible)
- Assist with outlet/media research and update PR database as appropriate
- Press clipping
- Project management assistance
- Ensuring public copies of press releases and radio add dates are added to website in a timely manner (knowledge of Wordpress a plus)
Interested in studio production, mixing and mastering? Our in-house recording studio may be able to take you on for select projects and tasks!
We are happy to cater your duties to meet your interests/field of study, as able. In addition, you'll be able to sit in on client meetings, learn how radio and PR campaigns are built and managed, and work in a small business where questions are always welcomed and you'll be immersed in all aspects of the business. There is no mail room or coffee run's on your duties list here - we're a tight-knit team who pitch in as needed to get projects done.
- Ideally you're interested in seeking a career in the music industry
- Basic computing skills and familiarity with Word, Pages, WordPress, and Mailchimp is preferred.
- Excellent communications skills
- Comfortable on the phone
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Good awareness and interest in music blogs/magazines/outlets
- Passion for new music and up and coming artists
- Light graphic design experience / an eye for design is a plus
Please note, you MUST have your own laptop (Mac preferred), cell phone and should be available 2-3 days a week for a minimum of 4-6 hours per day in office (office hours are 9-6pm EST). We have flexibility in determining exact hours if you're a good fit. While we may have occasions where we can allow you to work remotely, this is NOT a remote position. Preference given to NYC-metro area locals.
We have flexibility for start/end dates and duration of internship; ideally minimum three months. Travel stipend possible, commision & referrals possible; both to be discussed. More than happy to work with you to fulfill college credit requirements. Perks include occasional lunch, and potential for free tickets to NYC based shows from artists that we work with and/or shows we co-host.
Unpaid / for-credit internship. Perks may include travel stipend (to be discussed), commision (for select tasks; to be discussed), referrals, and free show tickets.
Behind the Curtains Media is located at 234 6th St. Suite #5 in Park Slope, Brooklyn; easily accessible via the R, F and G trains. We will give preference to NYC metro area locals.
- Your 5 favorite albums of 2017!
- A few of your favorite music blogs
- When you are looking to start
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you! Via email:
Please note that EntertainmentCareers.Net uses 'disposable' email addresses in our postings. They change frequently so do not post the contact information outside of EntertainmentCareers.Net as it will likely be invalid.
Employer will allow resumes sent in the body of the email OR as an attachment. Apply Online