Manager, Communications & Public Affairs
ASCAPNew York, NY
Full Time Job
ASCAP is seeking a dynamic, intelligent, highly organized ''superstar'' for the role of Manager, Communications & Public Affairs on its fast-paced Marketing & Communications team. This position will play a vital part in ASCAP's advocacy efforts and biggest member events. Join the team of the only member-owned U.S. performance rights organization and help protect the rights and promote the careers of music creators - the heart and soul of the music industry.
This position will support ASCAP's busy public relations function and its public affairs initiatives. They will be responsible for day-to-day management and measurement of core event publicity campaigns, organize various advocacy events and efforts, oversee grassroots campaigns (district/DC meetings and online actions) and perform member outreach (communication/tracking/mobilizing). This position will also provide general PR & Communications support for all events and initiatives across ASCAP's different departments.
The role requires superior communication and organization skills, passion and enthusiasm for music, and the ability to go the extra mile when needed. The successful candidate will be able to transition seamlessly from project to project.
Areas of responsibility/ accountability:
• Work closely with Senior Director of Public Relations and PR contractors on ASCAP events; manage press release approvals, distribution and posting, create other event-related materials (e.g. talking points, shot lists, etc.)
• Manage legislative operations and advocacy efforts aimed at strengthening Congressional relations, building awareness and understanding among Congress members and other influencers, and heightening ASCAP member engagement and participation
• Contribute to communications and messaging for Congressional meetings (talking points and briefing material), as well as generate newsletters, briefs and website content surrounding legislative issues
• Research and maintain ASCAP member data by district and state to be used for various reports, Congressional Member visits, strategic planning and special assignments
• Provide administrative support for public relations, PAC initiatives and fundraising efforts, assist with strategic planning and manage event production
• Coordinate production and detailed logistics for departmental operations, special events and miscellaneous special projects
• Manage budget for Legislative Support and responsible for monitoring all expenditures associated with public affairs
• Outside of public affairs, provide PR & Communications support for all other events and initiatives across ASCAP departments (corporate, organizational, membership, licensing, strategy/product).
• Manage final distribution and website posting of ASCAP press releases
• Develop event support materials for top ASCAP executives
• Create publicity campaign reports
• Maintain marketing and communications calendar
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent required; preferred concentration in a writing-focused subject area (e.g. English, Journalism, Communications, etc).
• 3 - 5 years of relevant work experience preferred
• Must be a driven, highly organized individual who can manage multiple projects simultaneously
• Must be a proficient writer and have strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Knowledge and experience producing high level events
• Excellent people skills: Ability to deal with a variety of talent (many of whom are established/esteemed artists/creators) and interact with a wide range of industry personalities
• Well-versed with technology and ability to navigate amongst various CRM, government relations, advocacy and communication platforms
• Experienced with Powerpoint, Excel and/or Google Sheets.?
• Experience building constituencies and bolstering community engagement
• Knowledge of government relations/public policy/public affairs
• Past experience with the music industry preferred
Besides providing a unique and dynamic work environment, there are a few other reasons you should consider ASCAP in your career planning. We also offer generous benefit options that are comprehensive and provide the flexibility that most employees want and need. These health care and financial plan options include the following:
• A choice of either HMO or Point-of-Service (POS) medical and dental plans
• Immediate eligibility for 401(k) participation with match
• Generous time-off policy
• Health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
• Long term disability insurance
• Basic life insurance, supplemental and dependent life insurance options
• Employer paid retirement savings program