Intern - Publications
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Unpaid Internship
The primary duty of the Intern will be to assist in all aspects of Nationals Publications, including writing, editing, transcribing and managing photo inventories on behalf of the department. This position will learn how a Publications department operates and to utilize that knowledge in the publications field or a related area.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Duration of Internship: March to September
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist Copywriter & Manager, Digital Publications with all projects related to Nationals Publications
• Write and edit original pieces for Nationals Magazine (five issues), the Inside Pitch playbill (13 issues) and the Curly W Live blog (as needed)
• Conduct and/or transcribe interviews with players, coaches and staff
• Maintain inventory of all Nationals Publications
• Assist in copywriting and editing all Marketing and Creative Services initiatives, including print advertisements, marketing collateral and NatsHD videoboard messaging
• Help organize official team photo archive
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have graduated from an accredited college or university within the last 6 months.
• Pursuing a degree in journalism, public relations, or marketing degree required
• Previous writing and editing experience online or in print is required
• Minimum of 1 year college newspaper or sports information department experience preferred
• Experience interacting with collegiate and/or professional athletes preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Excellent writing and editing skills, with a firm knowledge of AP style
• Detail-oriented approach to recognizing and correcting spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
• Ability to meet writing/editing deadlines, often on short notice
• Basic knowledge of the game of baseball, including players, history, statistics, rules of the game and strategy
• Note: Please be prepared to provide links to two or more writing samples
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Position may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. In the space provided, let us know what you expect to learn from this internship.
2. Yes/No. Are you available to work 34 hours per week starting in March through September, 2017?
3. Please include a link to your writing samples in the space below