Intern - Digital Marketing & Events
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Unpaid Internship
The Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy is a year-round educational and athletic facility with the mission to use baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement, and improved health among at-risk Washington, D.C., youth. Founded in 2013, the Academy is poised for exciting growth and utilization of its new $17 million facility in Ft. Dupont Park in Southeast, D.C.
Reporting to the Events & Marketing Associate, the Digital Marketing & Events intern will assist with developing, organizing, and implementing all digital marketing and event planning pertaining to fundraising, revenue generation, and brand awareness for the Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy (Academy). This position will have direct responsibilities with event planning, marketing operational budget, Academy related game operations, monthly newsletter, website and social media.
The Digital Marketing and Events Intern is expected to work flexibly, spending most of his/her time at the Academy facility, and occasionally coordinating with front office staff at Nationals Park. The intern will regularly interface with Academy Board Members, major donors, and VIPs, such as Nationals players, MLB or government officials. The preferred candidate will have marketing/event planning experience within the sports and/or youth development industry.
Duration: August through December
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in development and execution of event operations plan for the Academy
• Implement and help facilitate Mushball Tournament, Academy Day, Scherzer Showdown, Donor Events, Spring Training Trip, & other events assigned
• Responsible for post-event follow up to include surveys, thank you notes, reports and final event audits
• Maintain detailed task lists to ensure efficient project management plans
• Attend events as required to represent the Academy
• Maintain the appropriate relationships with vendors, local businesses, government organizations, sports organizations, venues, and events
• Help procure equipment rentals, transportation amenities, and service providers
• Collaborate on and create graphic designs, layout elements, and GIFs for social media utilizing Adobe Creative Suite products and other programs
• Assist with game day marketing and promotions operations geared towards Academy
• Assist in the coordination of direct mail and social media communications with the donor base, including solicitations, renewals, and monthly newsletters
• Routinely check and update Academy website and social media pages
• Manage promo items and memorabilia used for cultivation and stewardship of donor base
• Assist with the creation of all marketing material (e.g. brochures, presentations, etc.)
• Should possess experience in all social media platforms
• Push consistent, relevant traffic from Academy social media accounts
• Identifies emerging industry trends in graphic design/social media
• Works with various internal departments to manage creative consistency of all internal and external athletics communications
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have recently graduated from an accredited college or university, or equivalent military experience.
• Available for the entire term of the Internship.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Demonstrated effective communication skills
• Must be able to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• Strong organizational and planning skills.
• Ability to track and meet deadlines.
• Strong understanding of how best to leverage Digital Social/Media in order to support revenue generation goals and encourage greater donor engagement
• Proven graphic design technical abilities with a strong understanding of layout, color theory and typography in both print and digital media
• Strong design style, including creative design solutions
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel required – experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign) and PowerPoint, Dreamweaver, Aldus Freehand and Quark XPress software programs. – Website Design experience is a plus
• Knowledge and experience working across sports marketing, promotions and advertising, for a nonprofit or sports organization.
• Experience with Customer Relationship Management software a plus
• A team player, used to working collaboratively in a sometimes hectic and fast-paced, but fun environment.
• Commitment to achieving the articulated objectives of the Academy for scholar-athletes, staff, and the community at-large
• Emotional commitment to working with youth and families in a low-income, urban community.
• Experience coaching, playing and/or enjoying youth baseball / softball a plus.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Yes/No. Are you available to intern from August to December?