Intern - Communications
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Unpaid Internship
2017 Internship, Communications (Media Relations)
The Intern will work closely with Communications assisting in all facets of the operation with responsibilities including, but not limited to, production and distribution of daily media credentials, assisting with game notes and other game information such as lineup sheets, minor league recaps, getaway packets, etc. Additional tasks will include coordinating press box operations, assistance with research projects, coordinating player interviews, and other duties as assigned.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Duration of Internship: February to November
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist the Communications staff with the credentialing process, including distribution of gameday credentials at Media Will Call
• Produce, copy and distribute stat packs, game notes, minor league reports and other essential game information to the media, staff, and opposing club
• Research and produce post-game notes for distribution to the media and opposing teams during the course of the game
• Work with the visiting public relations official to ensure the needs of his or her club, media and staff are fulfilled.
• Assist the Communications staff with coordinating interviews, assisting with press conferences and overseeing press box operations
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have graduated from an accredited college or university within the last 6 months.
• At least one year of professional sports or college experience in a media relations or sports information role is required
• Experience in a Major League Baseball communications department is preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Experience using desktop publishing software such as Adobe InDesign and Photoshop as well as the internal MLB programs, StatsPass and BaseballReference.com is preferred
• Must be detail-oriented with excellent communication, organization, writing and editing skills
• Advanced knowledge of the game of baseball, advanced statistics and the current media landscape
• This position requires an individual with the ability to work all home games in during the 2017 season.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
• Gameday Seasonal: Job requires employee to function in a high activity and heavily crowded outdoor professional sports venue. May work at heights. Employee will be exposed to inclement weather of varying degrees. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, and climb up/down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or sit and must lift and/or move up to 45 pounds.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. In the space provided, let us know what you expect to learn from this internship.
2. Yes/No. Are you available to work 34 hours per week starting in March through November, 2017?
3. Yes/No. Are you willing to relocate to work in Spring Training from February to April, 2017?