Intern - Business Analytics
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Unpaid Internship
This internship, reporting to the Manager of Loyalty and Innovation, is responsible for assisting in furthering the Nationals’ technology and innovation roadmap. Significant collaboration with marketing and revenue generating departments will be required. This position will require knowledge and ability to extract data and produce insights from myriad sources, including the Nationals’ data warehouse and external secondary research. Strong written and oral communications skills will be required in producing documents to be presented to senior Nationals executives, including the Executive Director of Business Strategy & Analytics, SVP of Consumer Revenue, and Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Duration of Internship: March to November
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Contribute to analytics projects, applying a wide range of methodologies, to support decision-making in revenue generating departments
• Conduct secondary research as needed, including information gathering from industry associations and research companies
• Develop a deep understanding of the Nationals’ key data sources and integration points within the Nationals’ data warehouse
• Work closely with the Retail & Authentics team to optimize the MLB auctions process, including interfacing directly with MLB Advanced Media
• Analyze Concessions (Food & Beverage) data to generate insights on areas such as impact of promotions, operational bottlenecks, usage of NatsPlus benefits, and pricing optimization
• Assess revenue-maximizing opportunities in Parking, taking into consideration historical data and benchmarks
• Produce compelling presentations to visualize key observations and insights
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Currently enrolled as an under graduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have graduated from an accredited college or university within the last 6 months.
• Pursuing a degree in engineering, mathematics, business, economics or a closely related field
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Ability to understand key business implications from extensive data in a data warehouse
• Ability to extract key insights from large, unstructured datasets and synthesize into key recommendations for leadership
• Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
• Ability to work as a member of a fast-paced and cross-functional team
• Strong sense of ownership and accountability—a self-starter
• Excellent communication skills and ability to tailor and present key messages to the appropriate audience
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Position may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. In the space provided, let us know what you expect to learn from this internship.
2. Yes/No. Are you available to work 34 hours per week starting in March through November, 2017?