Intern - Baseball Research and Development
Washington NationalsWashington, DC
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Contribute to Washington Nationals Baseball Operations for the 2017 season as one of our highly valued interns. We’re looking for dynamic individuals who can contribute immediately to our front office in Washington, DC by specializing in work related to Research and Development. This internship is for the 2017 season and typically spans from Opening Day to November 1st. Decisions regarding the position will not be made until the Fall and Winter of 2016.
The Research & Development internship includes an emphasis on computer programming and data analysis. The intern’s main responsibility will be to assist the R&D department with input, cleaning, and processing of baseball data into proprietary databases. There will also be assignments that require statistical analysis on large volumes of baseball-related data. Candidates must have significant experience with R and SQL, as well as an interest in publicly available sabermetrics research and data science.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Statistical modeling with baseball data
• Data visualization
• Review of public research on baseball and data science
• Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
• Currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student of an accredited college or university and have completed a minimum of 1 semester or have recently graduated from an accredited college or university, or equivalent military experience.
• Pursuing a degree or received a degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or Mathematics preferred.
• Experience with R and SQL required.
• Available for the entire term of the Internship.
• Authorized to work in the United States.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
• Highly motivated and excellent attention to detail
• Demonstrated passion for baseball and baseball operations
• Strong, confident communication skills including the ability to write clearly and effectively
• Ability to use time efficiently
• Proficient in MS Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint
• Strong analytical skills
• Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
• Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. Yes/No. Do you have experience with R and SQL database?
2. Yes/No. Are you pursuing a degree or received a degree in Computer Science, Statistics or Mathematics?
3. Yes/No. Are you available to work a minimum of 34 hours per week between April 1 and November 1, 2017?