Summer Intern - Technical - Rendering
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
Walt Disney Animation Studios Technology Department develops software to support production of our animated films. The internship will be held at our Burbank, CA studio for a duration of 12 weeks beginning in the summer of 2017.
This intern project will investigate automated processes for geometric and material complexity reduction with a focus on representing complex sub-pixel geometry for more efficient rendering. The project's goal is to research, evaluate, and recommend alternative techniques to aggregate this information to allow for artist flexibility and reusability beyond a single shot setup, with potential future applications to final and preview rendering, faster scene interaction, and shot dressing.
• Investigate geometric and material simplification techniques associated with level-of-detail
• Research potential advancements and applicability for production problem-spaces
• Design an experiment to measure efficacy of proposed techniques
• Prototype techniques as outlined in the experiment
• Measure the expected memory and runtime advantages
• Prepare presentation with conclusive recommendations on future work
• Maintain continual project updates via internal blog
• Collaboratively publish if appropriate
• Masters or PhD candidate with a focus on computer graphics
• C 11
• Strong desire to engage with different roles in technology and production to understand problem space, prior development, and production needs
• Experience with material acquisition and geometric simplification
• Experience with Monte-Carlo path tracing
• Strong software engineering skills
• Comfortable in a collaborative environment and also able to self-manage and work independently
• Familiarity with Python
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.