Summer Intern - Technical - Flexible OnDemand Rigging System
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
This was removed by the employer on 3/18/2017 5:02:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Internships Category
Search for Summer Intern - Technical - Flexible OnDemand Rigging System jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Summer Intern - Technical - Flexible OnDemand Rigging System postings
Full Time Unpaid Internship
The WDAS Technology Department develops software for our animated films. We work in a largely Maya-centered environment, developing products in C , Python, and other technologies. Current rigging methodologies pre-build all foreseen control structures and solvers, then publish assets to animation. This makes for heavy assets and difficulty adding new manipulation on top of the pre-built structure.
The goal of this internship is to explore the use of more on-the-fly rigging (IK, FK, etc.) where artists can selectively choose the controls to manipulate, and rigging builds in-the-moment in a non-destructive way.
• Define an efficient architecture for the on-demand rigging system in C /Python
• Create a structure that works with an arbitrarily complex skeleton graph
• Design a Maya plugin-based prototype solution
• Conduct artist research to determine potential workflows for the new system
• Design a prototype for the user interface
• Iterate with mentors on technical implementation
• Iterate with production artists on usability
• Candidate must be an undergraduate or graduate level student pursuing a degree in computer science, computer animation, or a related field.
• Candidate must have experience with rigging and dynamics as applied to computer graphics and animation.
• Candidate must have a solid understanding of Inverse Kinematic systems and solvers.
• Candidate must have a solid understanding of graph theory
• Candidate must be able to work as part of a team
• Proficiency in large scale development in C , Python is required
• Past experience in using Maya is beneficial, though not entirely crucial
• Past experience in user interface and user experience design is a high priority
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.