Senior Software Engineer
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
Full Time Job
Sr. Software Engineer
Walt Disney Animation Studios has been combining the best in artistry and storytelling with cutting-edge technology to bring wonderful new characters and adventures to the big screen for audiences around the world. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Software Engineer in Burbank, CA.
Senior Software Engineers are responsible for analyzing production procedures and problems, evaluating the effectiveness of existing solutions, making recommendations to improve quality, efficiency, and workflow, and developing software tools for animation production. In this specific role, you will be working with artists, technical directors, and other software engineers to define the next generation of animation tools to be used in films at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
• Write plug-ins and scripts to implement software for proprietary tools.
• Develop rich, intuitive user interfaces through traditional widget-based UI's as well as viewport-based direct manipulation.
• Design architectural foundations of and frameworks for these proprietary tools.
• Derive algorithms that underlie tool functionality and automation.
• Utilize multi-threading and optimization techniques so tools run quickly and efficiently.
• Collaborate with artists and developers to iterate, debug, and refine tools and processes.
• Analyze production procedures and problems, evaluate the effectiveness of existing solutions, and recommend improvements to quality, efficiency, and workflow.
• Evangelize new technologies and techniques to artistic and technical colleagues.
• Experience contributing to open source projects is a plus.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related field. Master's or PhD preferred.
• 5 years experience in object-oriented development using C . Additional experience with Python, Qt, OpenGL, and/or iOS is desirable.
• Experience in the development of CG graphics applications.
• Experience writing plugins for commercial CG packages, such as Maya, Houdini, and ZBrush.
Strong mathematical fundamentals, including linear algebra and numerical methods.
Experience working in a fast-paced production environment.
Strong presentation/communication skills.
Walt Disney Animation Studios is an equal opportunity employer.