Intern - Talent Development Artist Character Design Apprentice
Walt Disney Animation StudiosBurbank, CA
This was removed by the employer on 1/9/2017 10:02:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Internships Category
Search for Intern - Talent Development Artist Character Design Apprentice jobs in Burbank-CA
Search all Intern - Talent Development Artist Character Design Apprentice postings
Full Time Paid Internship
The Apprentice Program
Join us for an opportunity to experience the art of animation and be a part of Walt Disney Animation Studios. The Talent Development Apprentice Program is an immersive experience available for emerging artists with up to five years of experience. Artists will enter the program as a Trainee, Apprentice, or Assistant level based on their experience.
Under the guidance of a Disney Mentor, the Talent Development Apprentice Program offers a unique opportunity to hone and understand skills, refine and strengthen key disciplines, and experience our real-time production environment in an immersive experience for a 3, 6, or 12 month paid position.
The Apprentice Program is based in our Burbank, California studio and begins March 2017. The deadline for applications is January 8, 2017, 11:59 PM PST.
The Character Design Apprentice
Designers help bring a film's characters to life. Transitioning a character from written page to drawings, and eventually to acting on screen, requires a diverse set of skills. Character turnarounds, pose pages, and expressions sheets help expedite modeling and rigging. Packets of drawings and paintings that explain the construction and detail of their costumes are created for our surfacing, simulation, and modeling departments.
We're looking for apprentices who have a rich imagination, a sense of humor and caricature, and solid draftsmanship. An understanding of color, shape, anatomy, and a strong sense of appeal, helps breathe life into our characters.
We at Walt Disney Animation Studios Art Department are a team of dedicated lifelong "students" who teach, tutor, push, challenge, and inspire each other. Ideally, our apprentices will engender fresh, unexpected viewpoints and new ways to look at our work and our workplace. We encourage original thinkers who inspire new ideas while respecting the Disney legacy for family friendly entertainment and appeal.
The 3, 6, or 12 month program is designed to share the specific skills and philosophies of the Walt Disney Animation Art Department through ongoing mentorship and insight.
As a Trainee, Apprentice, or Assistant Character Designer, the first three months are structured to introduce you to the art of our character design process, from our studio culture to our production environment. Whether fresh out of school or with a few years under your belt, these initial months will showcase the complexity of this fine art form while providing you the nurturing support to adapt to our style of visual filmmaking.
A three month and six month review determines future assignments to production. Under the mentorship and leadership of the art team, Talent Development Artists will participate in a real time production experience.
To apply for this position you must include a resume, portfolio, and a profile creation or update at careers.disneyanimation.com
Portfolios/demonstrated skills should include:
• Character designs in a range of styles and archetypes, all with specific and clear personality and appeal
• Drawings or paintings that demonstrate an understanding of acting, staging, and movement.
• Life drawings and sketches
• Exposure to the art of animation through an independent or collaborative film project(s) helpful
• Uploaded multipage PDF version of portfolio preferred
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent
• Design characters based on the director's vision
• Execute specific character turnaround poses as well as detailed illustrations to expedite collaboration with other disciplines down the pipeline
• Fully engage in all training activities and classes
• Collaborate with and address notes from a Mentor/Supervising Artist in completion of all assignments
• Proactively engage and collaborate with Art Department
• Attend and contribute to all Art Department Meetings
The Walt Disney Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.