Senior Director, Content Engineering
ViacomNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The Senior Director of Viacom Content Engineering will be responsible for coordinating and driving the engineering for content management. These services extend to the ingestion and acquisition of new content from Viacom’s production teams as well as third parties; content publishing, page layout and editorialization for Viacom owned and operated sites and apps; digital asset management for the Viacom content catalog.
This person will also work closely with product and program managers to determine the direction engineering must take in order that the highest quality solutions are architected to deliver the greatest value to the organization. They should also be able to anticipate future needs of the business and ensure that solutions cater for and scale to them, as well as satisfying the ongoing demands of the in-place systems and structure so that current operations continue to function at the highest level.
In addition the person will be person will be responsible for providing oversight of the engineering strategies employed by technical leads, validating their approaches, coordinating efforts and eliminating redundancy. To accomplish this, the Senior Director of Content Engineering must have a solid understanding of engineering best practice, content driven workflows and how and when to best leverage available technologies (such as the cloud).
Duties and responsibilities:
• Lead several teams of work stream engineers accountable for delivering solutions across the content platform products - including the Viacom Enterprise Content Management system and Global Asset Management teams.
• Work with VP, to develop long term strategy decisions related to software engineering for Content Platform.
• Collaborate and liaise with the enterprise architecture team and global peers as well as other engineering teams to support the goals of the product team
• Provide and present cohesive, sustainable engineering roadmaps across core services to the content platform leadership
• Partner with the product owners to influence decisions and product backlogs/roadmaps within the content platform
• Produce metric/data driven analysis of engineering functions to demonstrate the value of the engineering approaches
• Manage capital projects/budgets
• 10-12 years of application architecture and/or development, leading a team of development resources for 5 years.
• Media Industry experience with a thorough understanding of the content supply chain for all distribution platforms (linear television, VOD, SVOD, DTO, sites, apps etc.)
• CMS and Digital Asset Management experience (one of the two)
• Project management skills and particularly project lead experience
• Ability to influence stakeholders and peers to ensure long term success of
• Proven track record of translating goals into tangible results that are delivered on time
• Exposure to cloud based architectures and solutions and the complications, impact and opportunities that it provides
• Great communicator with strong interpersonal and partnership skills
• A solid understanding of development technologies including API design, microservices, SOA, message queues, metrics and analytics as well data and asset storage.
• Working knowledge and understanding of media asset preservation, digital encoding, file based transcoding, close captioning decoding and other broadcast grade equipment.
• Comprehensive knowledge of content management systems and distribution workflows