Full Time Job
The Company :
Bellator MMA is a leading Mixed Martial Arts/Live Events organization featuring many of the best fighters in the world. Based in Santa Monica, California, Bellator is owned by entertainment giant Viacom.
The company is comprised of an executive team that includes top industry professionals in television production, live event orchestration, fighter development/relations, venue procurement, sponsorship creation/development, international licensing, marketing, advertising, publicity and commission relations.
Bellator made its debut on Spike in January of 2013. Since then it has continued to reach over 100 million homes on a weekly basis. Additional exclusive content, Bellator shoulder programming, highlights and reality based series air on both Spike and Bellator.com.
In May 2014, Bellator hosted the company's inaugural pay-per-view event from the Landers Center. The event featured a Light Heavyweight Tournament Final fight between Rampage Jackson and King Mo, Michael Chandler vs. Will Brooks for the Lightweight Interim World Title, and a Light Heavyweight affair between Alexander Shlemenko and MMA icon Tito Ortiz.
The word ''Bellator'' means ''warrior'' in Latin.
Bellator is a fast rising competitor in terms of attendance (just had a sell out show at Madison Square Garden) and TV ratings (vs. UFC and WWE) and Viacom is investing and putting muscle behind them to fuel their growth.
Part of Viacom’s investment in Bellator, is the creation of the SVP, Marketing position. This pivotal Marketing leader will be part of senior management team that will help grow the company by overseeing the development of fully integrated plans across five critical areas: consumer marketing, social media, ticket sales, PR, and digital. These plans must create buzz, drive ticket sales and build brand equity.
Working with key business partners both internally within Viacom and externally with agencies and vendors, the SVP will be responsible for creating fully integrated plans, driving strategy and creative direction, while ensuring maximum coordination, effectiveness and resource allocation.
With a focus on new, innovative approaches, the ideal candidate will ensure that all plans have clear goals and a vision that supports the strategy set for each marketing initiative, plus an emphasis on building the top line positioning and strategy for each platform and guiding the consumer-facing “story” that is being communicated in each campaign.
S/he will be responsible for the development of strategic positioning and briefs for all Bellator brand priorities. The SVP owns the positioning, creative brief and strategic plans that inform the entire organization.
S/he will be able to understand research and analytics in an effort to create content and marketing plans that are informed by audience data. In addition, the role requires mastery and oversight of Digital, Social Media, Ticket Sales and Pay-For-View marketing strategies including the development of KPIs including but not limited to brand awareness, ratings, doubling social media communities, etc. for internal partners and external agencies.
• Lead and oversee strategic marketing across all functions and platforms for all Bellator events.
• Define and communicate strategic positioning for events throughout organization.
• Create and communicate a Marketing/Creative Brief to teams across the Viacom organization.
• Initiate projects, in relation to fight/event calendar and marketing needs.
• Review and provide feedback to creative/marketing team of their work relative to strategic goals, concepts and execution.
• Pitch out positioning/creative strategies to key constituents including President, and external partners.
• Be the SME for sports marketing in the digital age.
• 15 years holding Marketing/Advertising positions, namely Account Directors & above at a Live Sports company, Top Advertising Agencies, or seasoned Marketing Strategists within sports media companies
• Strong and diverse client experience
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills; with direct past experience in writing and briefing creative teams
• Successfully managed a team of 5 or more
• Strong mentoring skills and desire to teach creative team
• Strong business and personal ethics
• Deep connection to sports advertising/media community and people resources
• Passion for Mixed Martial arts and an entrepreneurial/competitive spirit
• Undergraduate degree; or equivalent management experience required