Manager, Engineering, Nick Games
Full Time Job
This role requires an excellent engineer, with a proven experience in game development, who can effectively collaborate with designers, program managers and other disciplines across the company to build a product worthy of the Nickelodeon brand. The ability to lead a team, mentor engineers, and set and drive technical vision are all critical components for this role. The play-along project utilizes C#, Unity, Objective-C, Java and Python to deliver best-in-class tools and efficient interactive engines. The role will be based at Nickelodeon in Burbank, CA.
Nickelodeon’s proprietary play-along authoring tool puts the ability to create interactive digital content into the hands of Nick’s show creators, producers and animators. The tool supports real-time scene editing and a live preview that allows the teams to layer in interactive elements, to create brand-new play-along moments within any episode. Additionally, the play-along proprietary players can be integrated into the existing Nickelodeon mobile apps or can be used in standalone products.
• Lead, manage, and mentor a midsize team of engineers.
• Take a proactive role in improving processes and tech pipelines.
• Execute and help developing engineering best practices including continuous integration, code reviews and unit testing.
• Work closely with leadership team (engineering and product) to help building & executing product roadmap.
• Research and investigate new technologies and platforms and how they can be used for play-along.
• Lead and own performance optimizations (rendering, loading, memory usage, and file size optimizations, etc.)
• Assists with the hiring process of the team and is a key voice on hiring decisions.
• Design and implement new features to enable new type of interactions and features for the play-along users.
• Design and implement new functionality to improve usability and workflow for play-along authors.
• A minimum of 7 years professional software engineering experience, including professional experience in Game Development.
• Cross-platform development experience (a mix of Desktop, IOS and Android)
• Experience working in large and varied code bases.
• Demonstrated leadership - proactively driving, establishing, and improving teams and systems, for technical excellence.
• Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
• Excellent debugging skills.
• Experience coding for performance and reliability at scale.
• Solid foundation in data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented programming
• Experience working with one or more game engine/frameworks (Unity, Unreal, Sprite Kit, libGDX, etc.)
• Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience preferred
• Passion for gaming.
• Experience with video encoding/processing.
• Network protocols and patterns, programming and debugging.